• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about making some half doors.

Ddk2001

After looking at some of the aftermarket half doors - and seeing the prices . . . I'm thinking about making my own. Anyone know if the stock 1/2 doors are 1/4" 6061? I decided to mock some up out of 1/4" ply just to see what the might look like.

I kind of like them - and want to get some hard door hinges and paddle latch handles for a final fit before I get them fabbed from aluminum. Anyone know where to source hard door hinges? I can't find them.

I'm thinking about cutting the doors as you see them - and riveting a c-channel at the top to make them look a bit more like factory doors.

-D

Attachments

Last edited:

ari

After looking at some of the aftermarket half doors - and seeing the prices . . . I'm thinking about making my own. Anyone know if the stock 1/2 doors are 1/4" 6061? I decided to mock some up out of 1/4" ply just to see what the might look like.

I kind of like them - and want to get some hard door hinges and paddle latch handles for a final fit before I get them fabbed from aluminum. Anyone know where to source hard door hinges? I can't find them.

I'm thinking about cutting the doorsas you see them - and riveting a c-channel at the top to make them look a bit more like factory doors.

-D
Hard door hinge PN EC12339448-1 and EC12339448-2 Get em from macmotors. get ur latches here http://www.eberhard.com/products/paddle-latches/249-250-series/19683 beats prices of all the other outfits and Epay

Bravojmc

I'm thinking about cutting the doors as you see them - and riveting a c-channel at the top to make them look a bit more like factory doors.

-D
Looks killer my friend!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made some in the past to mostly match the factory rears.
There's thick shims, inside X door handles, arm rests, paddle handles and rods, and door latches....all X door parts,
except thick shims which are same as rear 1/2 doors use.
Arm rest is similar as rear 1/2 doors.
Rubber bulb seals are also added like rears.
DSC_000286_zpsjgefvool.jpg
DSC_000287_zpsfhbf4d3a.jpg
DSC_000288_zps71yncfpc.jpg

Ddk2001

Found a set of hard door hinges and picked up some door handles and some trim lock seal - and fabbed it all up to fit. I'm going to pick up some 1/4" 6061 and get it cut and installed on all 4 doors. Game on.

IMG_1294.jpg

Last edited:

ari

The paddle latch handle has a dead latch that closes on the soft door latch. I'm thinking about fabricating an aluminum latch - but it closes really well as-is. We'll see once I cut and install the aluminum doors.
are you sure those will hold the door closed real good? i can see them popping open especially with repeated closings the wire striker may start to bend

Ddk2001

are you sure those will hold the door closed real good? i can see them popping open especially with repeated closings the wire striker may start to bend
Am I sure? No. The paddle latch is stout - it overlaps the wire striker plenty. Might the wire start to bend? Maybe - although the doors won't weigh a whole lot more than the soft doors. That's why I said I was thinking about fabricating a solid latch/striker for the dead latch to catch.

I'll see how it performs once I cut and install the doors.

Action

Since it is horizontal, is there a spring inside the latch to keep it in the locked position? to stop it from vibrating forward?

Ddk2001

Since it is horizontal, is there a spring inside the latch to keep it in the locked position? to stop it from vibrating forward?
Yes - the paddle latch is spring loaded. There is no movement whatsoever when it's closed.

IMG_1300.jpg

Im' essentially reproducing what I've seen some aftermarket vendors do with 1/2 doors. Here . . .

Attachments

Last edited:

Ddk2001

I made some in the past to mostly match the factory rears.
There's thick shims, inside X door handles, arm rests, paddle handles and rods, and door latches....all X door parts,
except thick shims which are same as rear 1/2 doors use.
Arm rest is similar as rear 1/2 doors.
Rubber bulb seals are also added like rears.
door looks great 86humv. What material did you use for the doors? 1/4" 6061?

Ddk2001

Well - I finally got around to picking up some 1/4" plate aluminum and hardware - and made the 1/2 doors. They work really well - just need to add some c-channel for an arm rest and repaint the camo pattern on that back door 😬

IMG_1397.jpg

NormB

Awesome.

Now if you can get setup to crank out,say, a dozen sets, and price them reasonably (look at ePay, some folks are gouging, IMHO, but I honestly don't know how much time/labor/materials cost go into a set of these. Knew a guy once with a water jet metal cutter, something like that could cut out a half dozen doors at a time), you'll sell 'em as fast as you can make 'em.

Strong work.

Last edited:

Ddk2001

I finally got around to adding c-channel to the doors and getting them repainted. Real happy with how they came out.
122F6FDA-E669-400C-82B9-4591CCACAC9E.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks