• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thought I had seen it all: Hydraulic Head fun

I bought 5 non-runners and after finding 3 hydraulic heads defunct. Unfortunately, with 2 of the HHs, the plunger got damaged on removal. They were that stuck. But on the 3rd one, here is what I found.

Now, the magic question is where I get a spare clip?

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, you can check it fairly easily, but the drive piece looks like it got damaged because the plunger would not turn. the plunger must look bright and polished, like it is chromed although it is not. wash the HH and the plunger in clean solvent and see that the plunger goes into the HH. next hold the plunger tightly in your hand for 5 to 10 seconds. now it should not go back into the HH until it 'cools down'. of course ambiant temp where you are may work against you, but you get the idea. if the HH is 70° and the plunger is 90°, the plunger is too big to fit.

After hours of searching, I still don't know what to call the rascal. Nevermind that when I go to Ambac, they have no prices and only parts numbers which I can't cross reference.

Are we whining yet?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
since that part is a part of the HH and it is not really considered serviceable you may not find it available. how was the fit of the plunger in the HH? you can always make a new drive piece or repair the old one.

Plunger worked just as you mentioned. There is some slight discoloration that matches the holes in the head so I think I will continue to have problems.

After further investigation, I finally found a post where someone found the part number from AMBAC: GU404360 and costs about 8 bucks.

One member here said he used valve lapping compound and techniques and it resolved a sticky plunger. Since there doesn't seem to be any physical damage I will give this a try. Only costs 8 bucks and a couple hours of time. Since I have 3 of these with similar maladies, it could save me 1200 bucks for replacement HHs.

Thanks for the advice. Hope I can return the favor one day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks