• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire chains

davidb56

Im setting up my Deuce for winter snow and ice. Peerless chain chart require .97 (1 inch) side wall clearance. I got 1 inch at the trunion with the Michelin 11/20's. So after installing dually chains, I got 1/4th inch. I would like to install single tire chains on the outside wheels, and the 14.5/20's in the front, without pulling the inside wheels off. Has anyone here that has ran their trucks in Real heavy snow and Ice have problems with losing traction because of inside wheel "lift"? I am really more concerned about the thick ice that covers the back roads here, than the highway. I will move it once a month to my other property 12 miles away on the highway, which has very little traffic. Most of the time i'll be going to my fishing holes on the gravel/dirt roads where the thick ice is at.

Dual chains on dual wheels and singles on the front is the best you can get every wheel that powers should have a chain on it that way the power pulling the load is spread out .

Single chains on duel wheels will dig the ice out from under it and with ice under the other tire holding the load back down the hill you go .
Duel chains on duel wheels on ice with every powered wheel chained you can dig a hole to hold your self .

Some times the in side chain latch can be replaced with a hook to give a little more room . most of the tire chains I get are for mud service and are bigger and thicker links . some times I get Pee Wag chains and they are more for ice service they are thinner and smaller links and are very hard steel with the cleats and lighter but are the best .

Driving your truck with the front chained and singles on the back should be fine the chain not clearing trunnion and braking the chain is just not doing to do you any good .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks