• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Changing Fun?

JD4044M

My 2 Rear Tires should be here Tue/Wed this coming week. I figured I would save money and remove the tire & rims myself so I tried today. Removed the 20 lug nuts what a job! I had to use a 3/4" Air Impact Driver. The Tire Shop was concerned about the 40 smaller bolts holding the rims together and air hose getting broke. So I removed them but left 2 loose ones hold it together till I can get help.
Just not sure I can handle these tires yet removing them from the hubs. It weighs more then twice my weight!! If I can get them on my tractor forks I will try to bust one the rest of the way apart and save $100.00+ per tire. I cleaned the parts up on the wire brush and all bolts came loose but 2-Lugs took forever to get off!! No way could I bust these loose with a 4 ft cheater bar giving it everything I had?? I will post a picture later tonight. They used "Blue Loc-Tite" on the Allen Head Bolts you better have a good fitting one also to get them out!

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're not working on concrete just put a 4x8 sheet of plywood under the tire and lower the jack so the tire just touches, then you can easily (?) wiggle the wheel off the lugs and roll it somewhere. It's a bear to lift the tire/wheel vertical after you change it but it's doable by hand.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself working with the bigger tires even 53's and two piece wheels all work is done with the tire standing up. Tire soap is you friend and can be use two ways. Mixing it with water to make a liquid spray or left as a solid soap. I just had a good inside tire come off the bead on the new trailer. I got ready to remove the outer wheel after jacking it up and changed my mind. With the solid tire soap I was able to take a hand full at a time and filled in the gap between the tire and wheel both sides all around the tire. Hooked up the air and the tire air up. After it is seated you just with your hand grab a much tire soap that has squeezed out and return to the bucket. Then just wash off with the hose the remaining tire soap. Tire Soap your O ring and of course the tire bead to help seating.

Last edited:

JD4044M

I am working over a dirt/gravel surface covered with plywood. The tire is about 1/2" max off the ground. I have more plywood to take up the gap flush, and off the studs/hub. I would not even try this along the side of a road maybe run flats are not that bad of a idea?

coachgeo

I am working over a dirt/gravel surface covered with plywood. The tire is about 1/2" max off the ground. I have more plywood to take up the gap flush, and off the studs/hub. I would not even try this along the side of a road maybe run flats are not that bad of a idea?
mount a piece of plywood for this purpose to back of cab??

• Haha
Reactions: HDN

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around here, they only charge $60/ea for tire changes. I did a couple, and now that I know how to do it should I ever need to, I'm happy to pay the $60 and just "come back in a couple hours".

That said, just keep a couple pieces of pipe around, and it's really easy to get the tire+wheel on/off the truck.

Asymair95

I found if I put two pieces of cardboard on top of each other under the tire I’m able to slide it around without too much trouble. Just make sure the jack is set at the right height so you can slide it straight on and off the studs.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find it easer just to raise or lower the correct jack to the right height to get the tire to walk off. Then place my jack stand if the truck will be up for some time. Then same thing when installing right height you can hook it on the top of the hub and raise the jack more and it will be held on. Rotate tire to line up studs. Yes on the side of the road on bad ground would not be as ease or fun.

JD4044M

Detailed Forecast

Today
A 20 percent chance of snow before 11am. Snow level 2600 feet. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 48. Breezy, with a north wind 11 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 26. North wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
Thursday
Widespread frost before 8am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 46. North wind 5 to 8 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 28. South wind around 7 mph becoming east after midnight.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 33. East wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Breezy.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 17.

But at least I have my new M1078 rear tires here and in the shop. Then I work on changing out my radiator fan to the new style.

Attachments

JD4044M

My newer tires are ready to go on when I get them to town! Got them on pallets and put them in the back of the 79 Chevy! Then I woke up to it starting to snow? We will see what it adds up to today and some real cold weather the next few days to!

Makes me wonder how much HP Loss running tires this big let alone the HP used up in the drive train to do it??DSCF6064.JPGDSCF6069.JPG

Last edited:

JD4044M

Still coming down easy 6 inches so far. I plowed my driveway for fun and need to put chains on today. Got to town One place Les Squabs won't touch them but the old guy down the street will so he has them. Be a bit every one wants there snow tires on right now!! Was greeted with more snow when I got home.DSCF6076.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Still coming down easy 6 inches so far. I plowed my driveway for fun and need to put chains on today. Got to town One place Les Squabs won't touch them but the old guy down the street will so he has them. Be a bit every one wants there snow tires on right now!! Was greeted with more snow when I got home.View attachment 816028
Well, here in North Carolina we are still wearing t-shirts and shorts. High today was 73 and sunny with a southeast breeze at 3mph. Low tonight is supposed to be 63. Looking at the ten day forecast there is a 79 mid-week and it gets to 64/45 for about a week. Sunshine for Election Day and rain on Thursday and Friday.

So, now that I told you about our weather - I just have to say - that is pretty patch of dirt. The snow gives it that Saturday Evening Post almost Christmas look. I would guess that it isn't nearly as much fun when you get that much snow. Here where I am, if we get one snow in the winter everything shuts down for two days while it melts. And the grocery stores have no bread and no milk!

Anyway, happy to hear that your tire mounting adventure seems to have gone smoothly when you found the right help. Just have to remember to be safe above all else and everything will work out just fine.

JD4044M

I put the Tire Chains on my tractor today. Rears easy 350+ lbs a pair, front 2 chains 40 lbs total. So my tractor is ready for winter plus I have 145 gals of fuel stored, hate 5 gal cans. I just pump it in there now and should last me into spring being treated Off Road Diesel Fuel. Just remembered I have 150 gals in the M1078 of Road Use Diesel in it's Fuel Tank too! Some real nice weather your having! It will be cold now for the next 6-7+ months. Jan-Feb are our worst months for blowing cold and snow so we got a early start on the snow season this year.

Last edited:

319cssb

What kind of experience is changing the LMTV tire on the wheel? I’ve done 14.00x20 on combat wheels and they were a total pain in the D*ck.

JD4044M

I tried for a while to pop the bolted on ring off then gave up. I figured if the small ring is that tight the big one would be worse. I just decided to let the tire shop do them! My lake looks great this morning. Tractor now has it's winter outfit on for the next 6-7 months??DSCF6081.JPGDSCF6080.JPG

Last edited:

Swamp_Fox

What is the size/description of a tire valve (and valve cap) that would screw into the valve stem so it could hold air if not connected to the CTIS?

JD4044M

My M1078 Tires/Rims use a regular Tire Valve inside the stem but the stem is not the ones they use on regular tires. I thought you could just fill each tire using the valve? When I pulled the Hose off the Hubs Stud that feeds it no air leaked? I have heard of a fitting you can use instead of the Air System that can screw into the opening on the rim.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks