• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title/register a trailer with only a bill of sale - Louisiana

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me preface this post by saying this: I am in no way plugging a business nor individual for pay. Everything I'm talking about is a result of effort on my part, knowledge passed and money spent. There is no quid pro quo.

The reason I say that is I'm going to mention vendors here on the site and other businesses. I'm strictly giving my experience and opinions.

I recently purchased a beautiful M1061A1 from our very own @fuzzytoaster to modify to haul my M37 on when I go on long road trips/camping excursions. Being as it was coming to him from a private individual, there was no SF-97, only a bill of sale.

Said beautiful M1061A1:

20220813_124223.jpg

I tried to take it to the DMV, but the moment they heard "Military trailer" the lady wanted a SF-97 and wouldn't take any other answer.

I was stumped, so I called @fuzzytoaster and discussed it and he said to try getting a bonded title.

So I researched what a bonded title was and what they were for and pretty much just clicked the first link I found. It was for Colonial Surety I punched in my info, paid the fee (it was about $100.00) and my bonded title was emailed to me immediately.

I downloaded that and printed it, then took the trailer, bill of sale and bonded title to the local Louisiana State Police Troop to have a VIN verification done.

I wasn't sure if I needed one, but I figured better to have it and not need it...

Then I set up an appointment at my local DMV again and went to it. The young lady was very friendly and helpful and she went through the process with me. It turns out I DID need the VIN verification. I didn't try to get it titled as military yet, as I want to have the title issue straightened first.

Anyway, an hour later, I walked out with permanent registration and the promise of a title in the mail.

Well, today:

received_796394338477351.jpeg

So, if you have a trailer where you only have a bill of sale, it IS possible to get it registered and titled, with no Shady stuff.

If you need clarification etc, please feel free to reach out.

Bertha has book ends now!
Screenshot_20220902-173038_Chrome.jpg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I see I had it backwards. The M37 on the trailer makes much more sense lol. I would love to have one of those trailers to haul my M998 but I would need some real truck to haul that mess.

Mark

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if the new law will also apply to trailers but I think it will.
Probably needs to be done at special and prestige plate office in BR as I doubt your dmv stocks it.

I applaud your dedication to getting it done. All my trailers live with Maine plates.
That plate looks like garbage, IMO.

'Surplus'? Really?

TX looks better.... :D

Attachments

Jal

I bought a trailer off marketplace as part of a boat deal in Alabama and I accordingly have the bill of sale, but I'm having trouble getting a Louisiana bonded title without the trailer's vin number. Did you do your police inspection of the trailer before getting the bonded title? Or is there another way to get said title without a vin number. appreciate ya

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a trailer off marketplace as part of a boat deal in Alabama and I accordingly have the bill of sale, but I'm having trouble getting a Louisiana bonded title without the trailer's vin number. Did you do your police inspection of the trailer before getting the bonded title? Or is there another way to get said title without a vin number. appreciate ya
You should have a VIN stamped somewhere in the vehicle. Is it military? If it is and you have a data plate, post a pic. If there is no VIN stamped ANYWHERE, you may need to go the "rebuilt" trailer route. PMing you.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recommendation on the trailer is to register it in Maine. Much cheaper and no title required.

You will need a bill of sale with manufacturer and vin to do so.

If you don't have those, be very weary if trailer is not home made as if it is a legit trailer, there will be a data plate of some sort and stampings on frame.

If homemade in AL, then the homemade route with inspection by LSP and they will issue a vin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks