• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling in Missouri

mistaken1

I won my first GL auction late in October. I just received a Florida title on the 14th of January.

(edited below after completing the title application today)

Trying to title in Missouri I need:

A title signed over to me that I can surrender to Missouri (I have a Florida title signed over to me by GL).

An ID/OD (VIN and odometer) inspection from a MO Inspection station because it is an out of state title being surrendered (time off work and a $12.00 fee).

Proof that sales tax has been paid (I have a bill of sale from GL showing too much sales tax collected).

(2nd Edit in light gray)
According to one local DMV office I need a receipt from Missouri showing the sales tax was paid although I did not pay sales tax to Missouri I paid sales tax to GL who presumably has paid Missouri. This is wrong the bill of sale provided by GL is sufficient. According to the state phone representative and to a different DMV office all that is needed is the bill of sale showing the sales tax collected by the 'dealer' (GL). I will confirm this today. What I was told today by the DMV office manager is that it looks like the sales tax was collected by GL and since they are in Arizona the sales tax went there however Missouri cannot charge me sales tax twice so they have to give me credit for the tax paid (2% more than I would have owed Missouri).

Finally because the sale date was in October and I am not titling the vehicle until January I get to pay the late title penalties. This despite the fact that I had no title to turn in to Missouri until the middle of January and would not have been allowed to title the vehicle in Missouri within the 30 day window. As was noted below there is form MO-5105 that I submit claiming I am exempt from the late title penalty because the dealer (GL) did not provide the title within 30 days. The DMV office manager looked at the 12/30/2008 date on the title, signed the form and waived the fee.

So at this time I have officially submitted my request for a Missouri title and barring some unknown issue I should receive a title in the mail in a few weeks.

Now I need to submit for a historical vehicle license. By getting the standard historical license plate it is a one time fee good for the life of my marraige to this vehicle.

The DMV office provide form 570. This has to be completed and sent to the Motor Vehicle Bureau in Jefferson City along with the following.

A copy of the Missouri title or a copy of the Missouri application for title.
A copy of the latest PAID personal property tax receipt.
A copy of proof of insurance on the vehicle.
A check for $28.75 to cover the license and processing fee. (payable to Department of Revenue)

I do not need the safety inspection for a historical license but it would be needed for a normal use license.

I will report on this process.

Update 01/29/2009
I received the MO title in the mail yesterday.

Update 02/07/2009
I received the historic license plates in the mail yesterday. They look like normal Missouri plates except the say "HIS VEH" at the bottom and do not have the annual sticker on them.

Now to figure out how to install them.

I am not a lawyer, I do not play one on TV and I did not sleep in a holiday inn last night. Please do not construe the above as legal advice, it is not, it is simply a report of what I have been told and what I have done regarding titling a vehicle MO that was purchased through GL.

Last edited:

bbbang

There is a form that they can fill out at the MO DMV to waive the title penalty. You are not responsible for the delay of issuance of title from the Seller.

The other form to my knowleged does not exist, the Flordia title shows on it's face the amount of sales tax already paid, you would just owe the difference if any. The bill of sale issued by GL is also your evidence. Sounds like you would be better of dealing with a different license bureau or dealing with the license division of the MO Dept of Rev directly. Chris

gmayor

I am currently going through this process with MO also. I have done this many times before without a lot of what they now are requiring. bbbang/Chris I wish I would have know last week about the form to waive the penalty. Thanks for posting that. They had me pay $75 penalty fee. Anyway after everything was done (as listed above) and sent in, I recieved a letter from Dept of Revenve saying to take the truck to a Higway Patrol Troop and have the vin checked. Did that yesterday, and mailed it today. Will wait to see if title comes in finally.

tuff-truck-guy

man it looks like i live right in between you guys, and use both dmv's lol. i called lebanon dmv and they had no idea what a sf-97 was and waynesville said its absolutly no problem, so i guess i know where im going huh lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks