• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TM Section - Input Wanted

mangus580

Ok guys, here's the deal. I am working on big changes for the site (yes again) and I intend to take care of missing items before 'working' items first.

The TM section is one of my priorities. I am putting together a list of fields for the listings, and is as follows:

• Title
  • TM #
  • Description
  • File Upload
The previous library included 'vehicles covered' but I am considering doing that in a different manner.... possibly with 'tags'. This would allow searching by the tag (aka vehicle).

I am looking for suggestions for the new section. I am considering listing it as just 'Military Manuals' instead of TMs, as there is a ton more than 'Technical' manuals that can put into the section.

Jimma

I am not an expert but I have been accessing the TM's in the last few days and think it would be easier if they were grouped by vehicle type and then maybe categorry or issue. Example M35A2 - Fuel system, M35A2 - Brakes and Brake System. Just a thought. If you dont know the TM number it takes a long time to find info and then even if you know the number you have to wade through a bunch of other stuff.

mangus580

Jim, thats part of the tagging concept.... you would click on an M35A2 tag, and get all the manuals for that vehicle. Given in list form, with the title and description.

runk

How about applicable NSN as a field ? That would help with finding things like alternator or transmission manuals.

Thanks for all your hard work :beer:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will there be a section for other items like PA's, tents, Comopnent repair, things like that?

Thank you!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for working on this. I like the idea of documentation grouped by vehicle type along with specific catagory, i.e. "M35A2 - E. Brake"

mangus580

Will there be a section for other items like PA's, tents, Comopnent repair, things like that?

Thank you!
I would think that would be a yes. Not really sure how to 'categorize' it yet... If tags are used, it might not be a big deal... tents would be under a tents tag...

LanceRobson

Hello, Mike

The DOD Army (maybe the whole DOD?) refers to the grouping of the available publications for a vehicle as the list of available publications, abbreviated as the "LOAP". Typically it is a dynamic listing that includes the latests TMs, applicable FMs, MWOs, hand receipt manuals etc.

If you'd like some help pulling those LOAPs together for the project, call me and we can discuss what format will help you keep the workload sane. Big game archery season opens next week and then there is some kind of deer, bear, goose or turkey season open for most of the next five months but I'll fit it in....

Lance

Edit: I have all of the M809 series manuals in searchable PDF format. It includes all the TMs etc for battery, tire & trailer maintenance, painting, automotive and electrical theory etc. PM me an address and I'll mail you a CD with the info.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would love to see the manuals categorized by vehicle..............

And the link work... right now you have to right click and save....... you should be able to click on a link and have it open the manual. That's why we have 1 thread a month "can't access the TM's".

Jim, thats part of the tagging concept.... you would click on an M35A2 tag, and get all the manuals for that vehicle. Given in list form, with the title and description.
That sounds good to me and sounds like it simplifies the hunt for information. User friendly also and for computer illeterate members such as I. Sounds like a good idea and saves time,etc in the quest for information. Thanks again for your efforts in making the site a better one!!!

mistaken1

Definitely some organization or ability to search by vehicle or equipment, both official names and common names.

Also to have file names that indicate the full TM number as well as a description of the item covered in the TM in a consistent naming pattern.

Thank you!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... right now you have to right click and save.......
Not so here, it opens right up with a left-click, for me at least...:) (Just checked again).

Mangus: great job!
BTW, can we somehow add/upload the M35A3 manuals? The only one in there right now is the LO manual. I have the -386-24-1-1, -24-1-2 and -24P if it helps any.

G.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having all the manuals/articles grouped under the end-item they apply to is a great idea. It's kinda what I've done on the MKT Thumb Drive for the deuce (see the thread in the Conversations Forum for details).

Even though some people can open the manuals, instructions to download them first would help to keep the staff and moderators available for other duties instead of answering those threads.2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How about the TMs that went AWOL, like the 260s (809 series), I know thay were there because I uploaded them and after a bit thay all showed up, I'd guess there is a bunch more that went AWOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks