• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To insulate or not?

stugpanzer

I have a MEP803a which has been running quite well. Mine does not have a cold-weather kit but what I did last winter was I put in two smart battery chargers (one for each battery) and a 600 watt space heater on a thermostat which kicks on below 38 degrees. This setup worked quite well in our very cold winter whereby I could start the generator with no issues, even in below zero temps. The question I have is should I put some insulation on the interior of the aluminum case? Since the engine is water cooled I don't see any issues with over heating but was more looking at keeping the heat in from the space heater and also to possibly allow the space heater to cycle off once in a while. Thoughts?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember offhand the exact figure, but the stock configuration is supposed to be good down to -15-20F. With that said, my personal concern is not with the coolant but fuel gelling. That has bitten me in these machines before on super cold new england days.

stugpanzer

I don't remember offhand the exact figure, but the stock configuration is supposed to be good down to -15-20F. With that said, my personal concern is not with the coolant but fuel gelling. That has bitten me in these machines before on super cold new england days.
Yea, that concerns me too. As I said in my original post, my little space heater seemed to be enough to keep the case/block warm and I also make sure I have anti-gel in the fuel for the winter. This last winter, we had temps down well below zero and with my configuration she started right up and ran fine. I am mostly curious about insulating the actual case. Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
I could see putting isolation on the engine top cover, and the two big engine bay doors. But then the schematics on the doors would be gone. Or take them off. The one place you loose warm air is the top front cover, where the air exits the set, Cant cover that up. So yeah, a canvas cover is a good bet. A long time ago, in a far away universe, ALL small gen sets, (everything smaller then a 15 KW) had a canvas cover. It had two pockets on it, for log book and TM's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks