• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the HEMTT out for a good run.

Stalwart

We decided to carry on where Damon has left off in the HEMTT restoration. The bed sides we got with the truck, although somewhat fixable, are really just scrap metal best used as templates. Although I have the skills necessary for making new ones, I don't have a press brake with a 7' throat. I turned to one of our fellow club members to take the patterns and make all 8 bed side pieces from scratch.

Rather than making them from steel as original, many places would not be paintable after welding. The decision has been reached to make them out of aluminum instead. We also decided that the original bed sides were extremely short and didn't follow the lines of the cab and engine "dog house". The new ones will be about 9" taller making it safer for persons who might ride in the back during parades and giving the truck a sleeker look, if that is possible.

I had also spoken with Damon about replacing the rolled dog house hinged top/side covers and changing them to angled ones with 2- 45 degree angles rather then one with a 1' radius. My desires were dashed when I saw the MASSIVE $3,000 radiator Damon had built doesn't allow for the corners to be angled . . . :cry: it would have looked so nice and had the same appearance as the cab.

Hence the journey, we did 140 mile jaunt yesterday to take all the old sides to be replicated. Truck was FANTASTIC to drive, it just rolled down the road effortlessly at 2200 rpm. The only bad side to the trip is that a HEMTT is a bouncy old girl, I think it would take at least 7-10 tons to get it to stop bouncing over expansion joints. Still an amazing truck, THANKS Damon, we love it!

mudguppy

... I think it would take at least 7-10 tons to get it to stop bouncing over expansion joints. ...
hate to burst your bubble, but a HEMTT never stops bouncing.... unless it is sitting still. [thumbzup]

have no fear, it'll get much worse. :-D

i'm super-jealous of your rig, you got a sweet thing there. and, it should be a rule; if you post about your HEMTT, you must include a fresh picture!!

btw - how much fuel did you burn in your 140 mile jaunt? i vote 30 gallons...

Brian Thomas

WOW! That is neat. I didnt know these bad boys could be made available to the public? I cant imagine they are just given away like a 5 ton or any thing like that.

Super truck. See them running around salt lake now and then and the base down the street has some too. I have stopped and looked at them through the fence but had to explain what I was doing there to the gaurds on patrol. Sure wish I had one but I cant afford the stuff I have now lol..

omega231

HEMTT Availability

Ive heard from someone here in SS that there are only 10-15 HEMTTs in private ownership in the US.

The major reason for this is that Oshkosh has a contract with the armed forces for the restoration of aged HEMTTs. The trucks a shipped back to Oshkosh, stripped to the frame, and then rebuilt from the ground up. Theres a video of the process on there website.

If you had the patience, finances, and the extensive parts list, you could probly build one just by buying the parts on auction.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
"Just given away like a five ton" Brian??? Heck...I'll take 6 then...that's how many 5tons we have:-D
Oh snap...wait...those 5tons weren't given to us:roll:

Can't imagine what that Hemmt cost!!! But I know I can't afford one...LOL:cry:

bigelk50

Glad that you like the Hemtt! You paid enough for it (still a steal though) that you should have a huge smile on your face every time you drive it! Gotta bring that baby to the PNW Convoy this next year!!

Stalwart

HEMTT = Heavy, Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck

They are the heavy haulers (not tank haulers, they are a special breed themselves) used by the US military. They are used for hauling cargo, hauling fuel, as a wrecker, fire truck, PLS (Palletized Loading System), fifth wheel tractor to haul the Patriot Missile Defense Battery and just about any job you could name. They were designed to go nearly anywhere, hauling heavy loads while being easy to drive by just about anyone. Many were equipped with a crane to allow self loading of cargo.

They have a fording capability of 5' 4" without preparation and come in 8 and 10 wheel drive versions.

The newest version uses electric traction motors and has a 200KW generator set that powers the truck and becomes a power station when it arrives at its destination.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks