• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the Mite out for a spin today

Mike_Pop

After cutting some firewood, I realized that it was a little warm today, probably around thirty or so. The skies are overcast but that didn't stop me from taking the Mite out for a spin. It wasn't really cold since it can only do 45mph. I mostly stayed on the snow covered dirt roads. I wanted to test the four wheel drive in the snow and so far, it works very well. I'm very happy with my Mite!

Attachments

emr

Boy Mike she's a beuty!! Love the country too!! It just doesn't get any better than that does it, just thought "hey ill take one of my MV's for a ride, hey its warming up to 30" Im on board with that, I just fired up the M38 last sunday and crashed it over a bunch of frozen snow burm's ! what a blast, Great pics!!! Randy

citizensoldier

That shot belongs in a calender! Just plain beautiful! I never thought much about the Mighty Mite until this summer. I crawled under one and those little buggers are a engineering masterpiece. What a cool frame and four wheel drive system. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to all!!

Mike_Pop

I just fired up the M38 last sunday and crashed it over a bunch of frozen snow burm's
Hey Randy...did you go over to the Mall in Rockaway and run over some holiday shoppers?

Yep...this sure is some nice country out here. Lots of open space, plenty of freedom. I had my guns with me but was enjoying the scenery too much to start blasting away!

Bjorn...not much different than the summer when you were here. Intstead of brown and green, we have white and green scenery

Mike_Pop

I went out again today. It was warmer and sunnier. However, about twenty minutes into my ride, a snow storm moved in. it's coming down pretty hard now.

I took the Mite through 4" of snow on the trails and it seems kind of squirrely. I think because of the short wheelbase and the light weight, that it would not do well in deeper snow. Maybe with some extra weight it might do better.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

December 30th, 2007.

What year and serial numbers on your Mighty Mite? I used to own #2043, a 1961 M422A1 that got shed back in 1977/78 when the Shah was deposed. I guess some loony in the GL felt that the air cooled engine would do really well in Iran, and when the sale flopped they painted them post office blue below the windshield and tried to sell on the civillian market to little advantage. The worst thing about the Mites are the very weak front hub bolts (center bolt), which would fail every 500 to 1500 miles, as mine had about 9000 original in 18 years of USMC service, apparently she was either a ship detachment commanders jeep (had radio and antennas, or was just the usual hanger queen due to breakdowns. One really interesting USMC MP repair was on the breather pipe (hose) between the two sides of the gas tank behind the trailer hitch, some MP type used two 1-1/4 radiator hose clamps and two rolls of electricians tape to clamp up the 5/8 or 1/2" hose, you should've been around when that one blew out. In deepsnow, up above the front deflector plate bottom, you will need chains to be able to move and steer, and better not get into a situation where you need to back up, for then you are done. Good luck with yours, they get temperamental in high heat and dry atmospheres due to the lube oil cooler being in the engine cooling intake gallery up by the carb. In those situations it is recommended to a water injector in the intake air to steal some excess heat from the engine's combustion cycle, reducing the engine's overall temperature
load slightly in the process.
Mine ended up in Philadelphia, Pa., owned by a gentlemen with the only road legal hovercraft in Pa, I belive his name was Jeff Miller, if my memory serves me right. At least the Mighty Mites corner like porsches, and go about anywhere a Unimog can go.

Regards and a safe 2008,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 (Swiss) Unimog
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm Deuce

Mike_Pop

Kyle,

My Mite is titled as a 1963 but the previous owner said it was incorrect. The serial # is 2669. Thanks for the mechanical tips. As far as going anywhere a Unimog can go...I seriously doubt that. I owned a U1300L before my Mite and took that in places I wouldn't dare go in any other vehicle.

randel875

Great Looking Lil Mite I am trying to get the one I have doing what yours can do.Will not be long. But anyway its a great looking piece of history.

reptiles

saddamsnightmare said:
December 30th, 2007.

What year and serial numbers on your Mighty Mite? I used to own #2043, a 1961 M422A1 ...
Mine ended up in Philadelphia, Pa., owned by a gentlemen with the only road legal hovercraft in Pa, I belive his name was Jeff Miller, if my memory serves me right.

Hi Kyle!

Good memory; its been, what? 10 years or more?

Nice to meet up with you again. I still have the Mighty Mite here in Philly. It lives in my garage. If you recall, it came with a radio transciever. I found the right military antenna and got it on the air. At least on the ham radio frequencies (I'm licensed Amateur Radio Op)

I haven't used it much lately... I either have to lose 40 pounds or remount the seat --they were made for the body of a 20 year old soldier <grin> which I haven't had for 30 years.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Mike_Pop

Mark,

Next time I am in Jersey, I would like to check out your Mite. I should be there in May for the East Coast Convoy and the Aberdeen, MD show.

Mike_Pop

[/quote]Cool mite. What's the details on the tires on it?
Those are the tires that came with it. They are actually too big and rub on tight turns. I do want to go back to the recommended smaller size. Just need to get some money. Donations gladly accepted!

Mike_Pop

Well, I went out again today. It was around 30 degrees, bright and sunny. We just got 6" of new powder and I wanted to play! The photo below shows the Mite on a dirt road that has about 6" of snow. Because it is so light, it rides up on the snow which is why it doesn't look like 6".

The ride was a blast! Lots of loose powder being kicked up like a rooster tail and most of it blowing back into the Mite!

Attachments

Mike_Pop

More Mite in the snow pics

I decided to see what the Mite could do in snow so I played in my parking lot. What bette place to get stuck than at home with another vehicle to pull me out? I only got stuck twice on the 3' high piles because I wasn't going fast enough to barrel through them.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

Cdub

RE: More Mite in the snow pics

Hey Mike,

That Mite sure would look cool sitting in the back of my USMC M925a1 five ton cargo...........

seya,

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks