• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top SPEED Of A M35A2 In 6x6????

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,
What is the Top Speed for a 1967 M35A2 with 6x6 Engage (WITH AIR SHIFT SWITCH FOR TRANSFER CASE ON) And what are some thing to not do in 6X6. For example don't drive on the highway on a clear sunny day doing 65mph with 6x6 Engage is not a good idea. Also is there any TM manual, Books, or literature that talk about this subject???

Thanks
-Chris

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't roll the truck on its side while off road with friends. It will make it to this site and you'll never hear the end of it.:gimp2:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have lockout hubs, the entire drive train is turning regardless of the transfer case being locked. The top speed will be the same.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys,
What is the Top Speed for a 1967 M35A2 with 6x6 Engage (WITH AIR SHIFT SWITCH FOR TRANSFER CASE ON) And what are some thing to not do in 6X6. For example don't drive on the highway on a clear sunny day doing 65mph with 6x6 Engage is not a good idea. Also is there any TM manual, Books, or literature that talk about this subject???

Thanks
-Chris

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
65 mph?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its around 56 mph at 2600 with 900x20's. 45 is a good cruise speed.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you put 46" tires on it, 15% bigger than the stock 40" tires, then it will go 15% faster which brings the top speed from ~55 mph to ~62mph. You'll also get slightly better mpg (mine went from 8 to 9).

If your plan is to turn this into anything other than what it is, then you can throw all sorts of money at it and you could even make it into a corvette if you were so inclined and sufficiently wealthy.

I don't know that driving on the hwy with the front wheels engaged will do anything bad except for the mpg. I've driven probably 3k miles on the freeway at 60 mph for hours on end, though I usually find a reason to stop for breaks every few hours for my comfort, not the trucks'.

I have found that the truck does tend to tramline a bit on some roads and the faster you're going the worse the effect and with manual steering you're kind of wrestling to maintain control.

Last edited:

2deuce

I used to drive my M35a2 everywhere. I once had mine up to 70mph. It popped out of gear on a long straight downhill(it liked to do that when not on the throttle) and I thought it's nice coasting, much quieter and I'm saving fuel too... until I got to 70 and the death wobble set in!!

beastm35

The only time to use 6by is your in deep snow or mud either way you not going fast. And the main thing to do in 6 wheel drive is not get stuck unless you heavy equipment to pull the truck out..

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard if you hold it to the floor LONGER in 6x6 it will actually go FASTER,, the key is holding to the floor long enough to get the RPM past that magic 3000 RPM number, then THE MAGIC really starts to happen!! Let us know how this goes??
Karl

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm currently investiagating to see what involvement the Russians had.

The Donald and I have been framed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks