• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Idea

Mark2X2

Been thinking (which is scary enough) With all the Bobbed jobs going on how about this for a trailer. Take two M105 frames & axles, the rear suspension and bed off the M35. Put them all together and make a nice tandem trailer. I think the 105 axles would pull a lot easier than M35 axles. Would the brakes work, using the 105's system & would the Deuce air system have enough to power two 105's? This is concept idea, have no idea if it will work or not. But I think it would be a cool looking trailer, using up a bunch of orphaned parts.
Any thoughts?
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the brakes would work, but you might overload the 105 frames, with the larger bed- but maybe not. Seems like the 105's bed is about 9' long, but narrower then the M35 bed. The Deuce air system will handle it. But if you put a load on it like in your avitour, you will surely overload the whole thing, especially the single tires, so you might have to bolt on the outside duals

Lee in Alaska

Canislupus

Probably...

Been thinking (which is scary enough) With all the Bobbed jobs going on how about this for a trailer. Take two M105 frames & axles, the rear suspension and bed off the M35. Put them all together and make a nice tandem trailer. I think the 105 axles would pull a lot easier than M35 axles. Would the brakes work, using the 105's system & would the Deuce air system have enough to power two 105's? This is concept idea, have no idea if it will work or not. But I think it would be a cool looking trailer, using up a bunch of orphaned parts.
Any thoughts?
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

Ummmmmmmmmm... Yea, THAT !

It Might work.

gunboy1656

It could work, but......

I think you would lose alot of hauling capabilities when you mount the deuce bed on there, seeing as its what 1500 pounds, those axles are rated for 3000 pounds....yes i know it can carry more then that.

Just seems easier to find a rolling chassis truck gut out the axles and use that. besides that it save a truck from scrappers.

Jake0147

The M105 axles are good for a minimum of 5694 pounds each by the military rating (3000 pounds of argo, 2964 pounds of trailer weight) Times two axles is 11388 pounds per axle cross country. On road is rated the same. Using the Deuce rear spring setup to get the tandems covers the bed, a signifigantly larger frame, and still gets you 10,000 pounds of cargo capacity on the road.

A stock deuce is only rated for 10,000 pounds towed on the highway, so by the ratings the 10,000 pound payload will never be realized anyhow, that will keep you honest on the axle ratings. I'm not sure about the original post, if the trailer was specifically for a bobbed deuce, or the bobbed deuce was only mentioned due to the surplus parts from all of the "conversions". With a bobbed deuce with a small fraction of the original springs, tires, and brakes it will be severely handicapped as a tow vehicle. Assuming that all of the fabrication is good, I personally think that the truck (especially the bobbed ones) is where the weak link will lie.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I will be parting out a deuce soon I have been contemplating using the frame and 105 axles installed in the walking beam suspension of the donor deuce frame.
It would be lighter than using the pull axles and the brakes should hook up.
The standard bed could be used and it would make an awesome rig when hooked to a deuce.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are the 105 axles square? I thought this though before and figured out the deuce spring settuo would work best with square axles.

Mark2X2

I would pull it with a regular whole Deuce myself.
Was thinking it would a good use of parts that aren't typically used.
It's kind of a waste to use good Deuce axles on a trailer. It seems they would be heavy.
Maybe split a piece of square tube & weld to the axle, so it would bolt to the walking beams.
Like I said it's a concept idea.
Mark

Unforgiven

Did you ever decide to do this? I was thinking of that exact way to make a trailer. A tandem axle setup + bed from a Deuce mounted to a slightly lengthened M105 frame & M105 axles.

If you did, please post pics.

Josh

Im in the process of designing a 30ft-ish flatbed trailer with a deuce rear end with 105 axles. I plan on dualing them out to give myself extra float as I plan on pulling it in the sand. I plan on making it large enough to haul 2 wheeling trucks t the same time. I have the axles, its just a pain to try and find a rear deuce suspention pack in tact on the west coast.

I plan on using the front half of a 105a2 trailer for the tongue with landing gear and all. Debating how think I need the main frame rails. I'm thinking 6in x2in x 1/2in channel. Soons I find a rear suspention pack its time to start building.

Unforgiven

Im in the process of designing a 30ft-ish flatbed trailer with a deuce rear end with 105 axles. I plan on dualing them out to give myself extra float as I plan on pulling it in the sand. I plan on making it large enough to haul 2 wheeling trucks t the same time. I have the axles, its just a pain to try and find a rear deuce suspention pack in tact on the west coast.

I plan on using the front half of a 105a2 trailer for the tongue with landing gear and all. Debating how think I need the main frame rails. I'm thinking 6in x2in x 1/2in channel. Soons I find a rear suspention pack its time to start building.
Deuce & Half M35A2 Tandem Axle Bogie - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Shipping might not be as bad as you think. I just bought an entire M105 trailer from OK & had it shipped to Las Vegas for a reasonable price. I listed it on Uship & had a quote within hours.

Mark2X2

Josh,
Looking in my Ryerson catalog C6 X .437 web thick X 2.157 Flange, 13Lbs. per foot, stock lengths 20', 40' & 60'. Many sizes available from the west coast in 30' & 50'.
Myself I would use a wider web C8 or better, this should take some of the whip and flex outside trailer rails.

jesusgatos

With as many people that are bobbing these things, I've gotta believe that if you can't find the rear suspension, you're not looking hard enough (or in the right places). Maybe start by contacting 100dollarman?

jbingvtx

I think that a deuce bed on the M796 bolster trailer would make a great cargo hauler. It already has brakes and a 5-ton rating. I don't have a deuce bed or a bolster trailer so it's just in my imagination right now.

mikew

Here's one I built.

With every two bobbed trucks I build I have a spare bogie, a pair of Deuce axels, two Deuce beds and two M105 frames.

I take the M105 frames, cut them and mount them on the bogie, put a Deuce bed on and hook up light and brakes. You need the flip the lunette ring to make it ride level. The ring is not yet flipped in the attached photos.

And by the way, that bogie in the classified ads is mine... I think someone should buy it to build a trailer (or to fix/replace their broken/worn-out Deuce bogie)!

Also; the Deuce axels are 3.5" and square, the M105 axels are something like 4" and round. The M105 axels will not fit in the Deuce bogie mounts, but it wouldn't be too hard to make any axle (square or round) that it 3.5" or less fit.

Attachments

Unforgiven

Mike, those are fantastic photos! You have already made what I was trying to visualize in my mind.

When you say you cut the 105 frames, do you mean you lengthen it by the width of the bogie section? How long is the trailer frame from lunette to end? Is there any way at all the Deuce bogie could be modified to accept 105 axles?

By flipping the lunette, does that give the trailer more tongue weight? Any ideas how many pounds at the pintle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks