• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer plug disassembly

Nick

Can the style plug seen laying on the floor here be disassembled?

I have the intervehicle cable, but one end is the male plug and one end is female, I want to chance it to two male plugs. I have another cable for the second male plug but I cant seem to get either cable apart.

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

coyotegray

Can the style plug seen laying on the floor here be disassembled?

I have the intervehicle cable, but one end is the male plug and one end is female, I want to chance it to two male plugs. I have another cable for the second male plug but I cant seem to get either cable apart.

Thanks
Nick
I don't think you can. They are designed to be replaced, not repaired... You could just splice it..
Are you using it with an MV or civi vehicle..?

Andy..

KsM715

It can be taken apart. Loosen the hose clamp at the end where the cable enters the "big" rubber part and you should be able to push the cable thru the that end and out the front.

You have to push it thru NOT pull it out the back.

Edit: are you asking about the big round end? or the end that has all the single connections? that end I dont belive you can take it apart. but you can get a second "big round end" and take it apart and then cut off the "other" end and strip the cable and trace out which wire goes to which pin and rebuild it

Last edited:

jimm1009

You can disassemble it with some elbow grease.

I'm not sure but if the cable is long enough perhaps cut off one end with about 8 inches of cable sticking out and save it for an adapter for military truck to civilian trailer.
You will be installing another rubber insert and male pins rather than female.
This is called "reversed sex" in case you are asking for parts from a company selling connectors.
You can also purchase the plug as a -2 or a -1 as you already have.
Either way you will have to do some soldering as these pins must be soldered to the wires as they are the non-crimping design.

Saturn Surplus has both -1 & -2.

Saturn Surplus

Erik's has them and the link below is his site for visual reference.

VEHICLE ELECTRICAL PARTS

If your cable is too short or very close then perhaps consider purchasing a trailer cord and then splice your cable and it together for more length.
Many options.
NOTE: The standard is for one to be male and one to be female. The male plugs into the lead vehicle and the female is for the 2nd vehicle but sometimes you do have to have a special part too.

jimm1009

Last edited:

Nick

Thanks Everyone!!

I guess I shoulda explained a little more.

My M101 has the electrical box mounted to the old style hand brake mounting. I want to use the same box of the electrical. So I bought two female connectors, one for the trailer and one for my Power Wagon.

I want to change the female end of the intervehicle cable to a male, to be able to plug into the truck. The other end of the intervehicle cable will go to the junction box on the trailer, plug into the female connector, and that obviously will go to the wire harness.

The intervehicle cable is plenty long so I guess I could cut it if I cant get the big round ends off. I have another cable, the one pictured, that I will be taking the male end from, so im going to be taking two cables apart.

So the wire just pushes thru? It doesnt unscrew or anything? Is the spring loaded cover part of the plug that will keep it from puching out of the big rubber cover?

Im probably creating more work then I need to, if I were just to get male plug to put on the truck, it would eliminate this, but I already bought the two female connectors.

So they hafta be soldered, I was wondering how they were connected, from what Ive seen of the female connectors I bought, waiting for them to be shipped.

Thanks again for everyones help. Dont know what Id do without the expertise here

Nick

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a similar problem, the plug on our 105A2 has been pulled off the cable. Some of the pins are still in the plug end and the rest are on the cable. I've been wondering if I can put it back together, and if there's a schematic, or is it NOT do-able?

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The schematic is in the TM for the trailer, but it's easier to just replace the whole cable.
Thanks, think I have one of these here.

I'm sure it's easier. If someone was handing me one I would be happy to put it on, If I have to give money for it . . . well it'll have to wait in line. I've no shortage of things higher up the list asking for money to be spent on them.

Stan

I took one apart for the first time last week. It does came apart without damageing it. Remove the clamp, lock the spring loaded cover open,looking at the end of the plug theres a metal sleve (2 layer front the outside), inside the metal is a rubber plug that has the wire plugs in it. This rubber plug is the only part attached to the cable. I used a lube between this plug and the metal sleeve, slide a screw driver between them to loosen it up. Clamp the cable in a vise pushing down on the outer portion while useing the screwdriver as mentioned. If you search on olivedrab.com for NATO trailer plug it has a wireing diagram.

Nick

I took one apart for the first time last week. It does came apart without damageing it. Remove the clamp, lock the spring loaded cover open,looking at the end of the plug theres a metal sleve (2 layer front the outside), inside the metal is a rubber plug that has the wire plugs in it. This rubber plug is the only part attached to the cable. I used a lube between this plug and the metal sleeve, slide a screw driver between them to loosen it up. Clamp the cable in a vise pushing down on the outer portion while useing the screwdriver as mentioned. If you search on olivedrab.com for NATO trailer plug it has a wireing diagram.

Ok, so I am doing something right. Ive been trying that and its puttin up a good fight. Havent been able to loosen it yet. But at least I know Im not doin something different or wrong.

Thanks
Nick

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pins on one I started to take apart were permanently (pretty much) attached to the wires. Best to cut the cable, bring out the individual wires, and attach to the approprate connector. Crimp them, then solder them. Some people say not to solder because a crimp is OK is properly done, but I have seen crimped connections fail in as little as 15 years. And properly crimped is the operative word, requiring the costly right tool, not the wal-mart crimper. Ask 54Reo - I repaired a failed crimp connection on the amp-meter of his 24V battery charger. It had failed after only 50 years!

Nick

Thanks to KsM715, jimm1009 and Stan for the advice. I got both the ends apart I needed to, already unsoldered the male end, now workin on the female end. The advice was spot on. I just didnt know how to do it at first.

Thanks jimm1009 too for the site with all those parts, Im gonna hafta get another male end to do the trailer to a civi plug.

Thanks alot guys
Nick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks