• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Train horn mount

aaron379

So i got a leslie rs3-l supertyfon laying here in the shop thinking about putting it on my deuce where do my fellow deuce owners think i should mount them? i was going to mount them on top over the cab but i think ill rip them off on low hanging branches and so on.... i thought bout where the tool kit goes but then im sure someone will cram something in it any ideas? i already have the surge tank mounded next to my stock accumulator tanks now just need to figure out where im going to put them......... and yes the color will be changed to green they were yellow and blue when i got them

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I need a set of those horns for my locomotive. All kidding aside, I have seen them mounted to the front fender. Just make sure you weld the nuts, so the horn doesn't walk off.

BlondeGuy

I've got a set mounted in a cargo box on my ferret and those things are a Blast. Just watching the people mess in their pants when you blow them is Awesome.

A

A/C Cages

I have a 4 horn set mounted 2 foward and 2 rear on my Hummer H3. I mounted mine under within the framing so they are protected but yet LOUDDDDD

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious, how large are they? I would love to find a Nathan P5 but the only way I would mount such a thing is if I could mount it out of sight. Can they be hudden under the bed?

aaron379

i want mine to be kind of unseen plus i dont have a winch.... the leslie is also very big i have a k3ha i could use to is quite a bit smaller... but ill sell u my leslies Ferroequinologist... post some pics of your loco

Attachments

A

A/C Cages

I bet I will be able to hear those here in FL when you blow them in KY

aaron379

haha if i stand behind them and pull the valve i have to wear earplugs because you just cant stand it.... there deafening!!!! especially this red one

Attachments

Tlauden

Wow nice horns! Lol

I seen somewhere on here they mounted them under the heater in the engine comp. I also like the fender idea and agree with weldin them on If thats the route ur going. I'm sure u could squeez them
Hidden under the bed somewhere also

A

A/C Cages

Just mount them in the cab behind the drivers seat............... Make sure you video tape when you honk them..lol

treeguy

I wouldn't recomend mounting them in the vacinity of the cab, ie. roof. This is a definit way to loose your earing! Modern day trucks have moved their horns to forward of the cab for this reason, check out the next fire truck you see. On the roof is a no no. Cool horns, I think under the bed might be the best place out of sight and theft protected. Post up when you're done, I'm sure everyone would love to see what you come up with.

Josh

I need to get a set of K3LA's or nathan P3s for my deuce, but they are so expensive. Im planing on mounting it above spare tire, Or where the stock horn goes.

hdmax

I have this horn set that I got for 99 dollars trainhorns train horn trainhorn And I have 1/2" air line they are supposed to be 200 DB with 1/2" line and 120 psi air pressure, I don't know if they are, all I do know it they are as load as any train horns I have ever heard. I plan on mounting them under the hood where the original horns are, and running a shutoff valve with 1/2" air brake line to the drivers area instead of a relay with wiring.

Capt.Marion

I just restored a Nathan-Airchime K5LA for a customer... I would've loved to mount them on my truck, but they're darned HUGE. Not to mention that they weigh 40 lbs according to the manual.

The trick with these is that they also DRINK air. To get a good sound, you need to feed them with at least 100 PSI on a 1/2" air line. The other thing is that feeding them that well, they put out about 114 dB of sound pressure--enough to do quite a number on your hearing.

I would also add that you would NOT want these things mounted under the bed of your truck or by the spare tire or anything if you have any intention of going off road... stuff getting slung up from the road is also a problem.

These horns are so expensive, I wouldn't risk it...

Anybody know where to find the K horns and the like without having to buy them from hornblasters, etc...?

Capt.Marion

To talk about size, all of the horns y'all have mentioned (K3s, K5s, P3s, P5s, etc) would fit excellently under the bed. However, none of those would fit in the engine compartment... I'll dig up a good picture that shows how big these suckers are.

EDIT

Here you go: This Ford Fusion got quite an upgrade in the horn department! Everything would be better with a K5LA.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks