• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny Flush

kurtkds

So name your favorite flush method.

I changed my gear oil in my tranny on the Deuce a couple of weeks ago, and put in MobilHD plus 80W-90 that conforms to the MIL-PRF-2105E standard.

Soon after I changed the gear oil I noticed that when I would shift into 4th gear, the syncro's were really stiff and If I didn't take my time shifting the gears would grind. I didn't have this problem before I did the oil change. Once the tranny warms up or after a few shifts the syncros' loosen up and things shift like normal.

So I'm looking for your advice.. I saw the post about dextron 3 ATF. What about Diesel or Kerosene?

And after I'm done flushing, I'm thinking about synthetic.

Like Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90.

Any thoughts??

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I was told to AVOID synthetics at all costs b/c the synthetics are so thin that it doesn't climb the gears to lube the upper portion of the tranny. Thus causing tranny failure. Not sure if that's true or not but I'm not going to venture to find out;-) I've heard of letting kerosene sit in the tranny w/out driving to help flush it out, then putting gear oil in, drive it around the block, drain, and refill

Last edited:

2Deuces wild

Dextron has 10 times more detergent and has lube quality's that kerosene doesn't.
Just let it run around in the case with the transfer in Neutral no driving needed. Good old 85-90 is just fine for our old steele.

Last edited:

m139h2otruck

Had to flush the transfer case on the water truck due to the sprags sticking. Used fuel oil and ATF 50/50. Just drove it back and forth and slowly around about 1/4 mile, then drained and refilled with std. GL-5 from Sam's or Tractor Supply. Has worked OK since. Drained flush was very black and dirty!! If you do this, just don't go very fast or apply too much load to the transmisson.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks