• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case oiling

Aussiecowboy

I'm about to fit my rebuilt transfer case and have been thinking about the oil pump. The little bit of plastic tube is fine but a pain in the butt to access to see if the pump is working (hence why my goat has 1786 miles on it and the transfer is junk). Has anyone extended the piping to place the piece of plastic somewhere more visible?

Or, has anyone measured the output pressure of the pump? If there is a measurable amount of pressure could Tee in a pressure sensor and put a warning light on the dash.

Thoughts anyone?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not enough pressure to measure, the pump is basically a hydraulic lifter.

I had a failure once too. Never did put the nos tcase in and since don't own it anymore.

I never came up with a great idea to monitor it either.

combat32

From what i understand loss of prime if it sits for a long time leads to the type of failure you had, gamagoat1 recomended substituting a quart of the 90w with a quart of Lucas, he said he never had any more loss of prime issues.

Its what i plan to use in mine, hope this helps.

m38inmaine

If you put the transfer in neutral and select 4th gear you can watch the oil "pulse" through that clear tube, it is barely moving, Lucas additive is your best insurance. I have seen the tube extended out through the air duct but I would worry that the minimal flow would not lubricate properly.

wsucougarx

I've thought about adding an inspection hole in the doghouse to monitor it. I added Lucas Oil Stabilizer and she keeps her prime after sitting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks