• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case removal/replacing

stancanpara

Ok, I've got to replace the transfer case in my Deuce... Had the usual grinding, noice, pops out of gear etc... When changing the oil, found rather large chunks of metal that appear to be casings from a bearing...

Thanks to my buddy Wade, I have a donor for it.

Question, who has done a transfer case replacement? I don't have a shop, but have borrowed a heavy duty transmission jack...

Are there any morsels of advise anyone can give me for this? I've read in threads from some that it's the worst pain in the @$$ and from others that it's a piece of cake...

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Clinto and I did mine and it was pretty straight forward. I would advise the use of a chain fall from above (will require the removal of the bench seat) suspended from either a cherrypicker in the passenger door or a beam accross the tops of the doors (windows down). Also, remove the spare to make it easier to slide the old one out & the new one in on a moving dolly.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Also, I would consider picking up all new hardware for the driveshaft between the trans and transfer. Maybe some locktite there as well.

stancanpara

Also, I would consider picking up all new hardware for the driveshaft between the trans and transfer. Maybe some locktite there as well.
Who would have that hardware readily available? I presume you mean the short shaft and u-joints.

Also, when you say chain fall, you mean lowering it down instead of using the transmission jack?

91W350

I think he means the bolts and lock nuts, especially new lock nuts. They are really bad about working loose on their own after the first or second time being run on. Glen

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Who would have that hardware readily available? I presume you mean the short shaft and u-joints.

Also, when you say chain fall, you mean lowering it down instead of using the transmission jack?
HARDWARE means the NUTS and BOLTS, NO special tools

stancanpara

Great thanks for your input. New nuts and bolts is always a good idea (thanks for the reminder) specially for those hard to reach places! ;-)

Thought about taking the bed off... would this make the job any easier, or be more trouble than it's worth?

I'm getting started on this tonight... Burning too much daylight so probably won't be getting TOO much done until tomorrow...

Here are some picks of the donor....

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

Just the nuts/ bolts. I would try a real hardware store ( not home depot).

Yes on lowering from above. A trans jack might work fine, but I really like how the chain fall worked. The transfer will want to rotate when unbolted from the frame. Not a big deal when suspended from above, but probably interesting if it is balanced on top of a jack 3' off the ground.

If you have the means to easily lift the bed off/ on it might be worth it just to make setting up the parking brake easier.

No special tools except what you use to raise/ lower the case.

fasttruck

Bar across doors and chain fall is technique for removing transmission. Transfer cased rfequires a jack from below and a good floor or smooth work surface. P[roblem is to balance vee shaped t case on jack. People that did this all the time fabricated special braces to correctly support unit. Think about putting front wheels on blocks first to improve ground clearance to get old out and new in under truck. Remove spare as described before also.

rebel_raider

I agree with BFR. Take out the bench seat, both tunnel covers, and remove the spare. A cherry picker through the passenger door works very well. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In my 819 (5t), i used come-a longs with small snatch blocks, took more time to get the xcase ready to drop and hooked back up then the dropping and reinstall, pulled the passenger seat and both floor panels, put a pipe though the right front and the rear windows,
The big thing is to THINK AHEAD, If your doing things by youself like I do it is even MORE important to do so and DON'T get in a HURRY

Bill W

I removed the seats and used a comealong hooked to a steel horse set inside the cab (1200lb rating ) that they sell at Homedepot for $25., other than time consuming very straight forward and simple

wbdodgeiv

I used a timber from the back of the cab through the open windshield. IMHO going across the doors makes getting in and out of the truck difficult and you have more place to wrench from above if you can open the doors. Just make a lifting eye with some angle and bolt to the xfer case top cover. And watch out for smashing brake and air lines that run along the frame rails, its very easy to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks