• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case temp?

URSATDX

Took a one hour drive to the bay this afternoon. Outside temp was 75F.
Eng temp was 170. Trans temp 140-150.
The transfer case was hotter than the trans to touch.
Don't have an infared temp device.
Fluid is full and clean but will change the gear oil to see if it helps.
Any thoughts and thanks.

Found a plate with the following info:
Ordinance # RCSK-14935
Ser# 1441
Overhauled at Diverco Inc. 05/1996

Last edited:

rustystud

Took a one hour drive to the bay this afternoon. Outside temp was 75F.
Eng temp was 170. Trans temp 140-150.
The transfer case was hotter than the trans to touch.
Don't have an infared temp device.
Fluid is full and clean but will change the gear oil to see if it helps.
Any thoughts and thanks.

Found a plate with the following info:
Ordinance # RCSK-14935
Ser# 1441
Overhauled at Diverco Inc. 05/1996
Transfer-cases are always hotter. Less oil and bigger gears (width) makes for more heat. Wouldn't hurt to get a temperature reading though.

CMPPhil

IR guns are an inexpensive and useful tool

Hi

I found an IR thermoeter to be a great tool for spotting problems. Having 3 symilar MVs to keeping track of what is normal for each truck IR gun is a usefull tool to check things. I have created a check sheet that lists all of the key points. It starts nearest the drivers door and goes around the truck, picking up engine temps, transmissions, brakes, bearings etc.

After you have taken all the temps several times you can start spotting things when they go out of normal range. Example one hub that is hotter than usual, check to see if the hub nut has loosened. Once you establish what the normal ranges are you will be able to spot things like time to check gear oil levels, low tire pressure, dragging brake, etc.

Have even have taken the IR gun on convoys to do a quick check on my truck at rest stops, warning don't check other people's trucks you may get readings that scare you. If they are interested in checking things on their trucks hand them the IR to them.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks