• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case

Iceman3005

I have an '86 M923A1 5ton. I noticed a leak at the back of the Transfer Case, it is dripping from the part that looks like a round Bell Housing just off the rear of the TC. Not sure what this part is called, I have located it in the TM but no real info there. It only drips after operation then dries up. I haven't noticed any operational issue as a result, I just don't like dripping leaks.

Any wisdom on what this part is called and how difficult it would be to address the leak? aside from the windshield this is the only significant leak I have going. I'd say class 3 all others are class 1 if that.

Thank You

What the heck does this have to do with the difference between an air shift internals and non air shift internals?

KsM715

I have an '86 M923A1 5ton. I noticed a leak at the back of the Transfer Case, it is dripping from the part that looks like a round Bell Housing just off the rear of the TC. Not sure what this part is called, I have located it in the TM but no real info there. It only drips after operation then dries up. I haven't noticed any operational issue as a result, I just don't like dripping leaks.

Any wisdom on what this part is called and how difficult it would be to address the leak? aside from the windshield this is the only significant leak I have going. I'd say class 3 all others are class 1 if that.

Thank You
Its common courtesy to start your own thread and not hijack someone elses. (its in the rules also.)

There is no real manual tcase in a deuce. One is an air shift (that shifts the front output) and the spraug case. The sprag has an over running setup the senses when the rear out put is spinning faster than the front. And I believe the spraug case has a different gearing on the front. Something like 7% faster or something like that.

Iceman3005

what about the gears in the main part of the case, I have a friend with an air shift transfer case, the big gear on the idler shaft busted, A ss member has a case but it is manual shift. Trying to find out if the gears inside the main part of the case are the same, I know the front out put shafts are different but what about the parts in the main part of the case???? No point in buying a manual shift case if the parts we need are different.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... Trying to find out if the gears inside the main part of the case are the same, I know the front out put shafts are different but what about the parts in the main part of the case???? No point in buying a manual shift case if the parts we need are different.
Short response: YES - for the gears...

And...... I DID SEARCH........ and found (just some of the x-many) posts answering your Q.: #3; #6; #18; #25

Also, if you look up TM9-2520-246-34P, fig.8 & fig.9, pages 31/32 + 14/15, you can confirm that yourself.

G.

Iceman3005

And...... I DID SEARCH........ and found (just some of the x-many) posts answering your Q.: #3; #6; #18; #25

Also, if you look up TM9-2520-246-34P, fig.8 & fig.9, pages 31/32 + 14/15, you can confirm that yourself.

G.
Thank you very much, yes I did look at TM's but wasn't sure. As for search, I wasn't finding the correct threads might not have been giving correct search words.

Gunfreak25

G.
I didn't know you used the search button Gerhard. I thought you had the ability to permanently memorize everything you see, read, hear, etc and just pull it out of your head at a moments notice? :lol:

SteveKuhn

"Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoyle
The transfer case complete units are interchangeable - you just can't mix and match parts between the two styles.

DD

YES for the first (same dimensions, although they don't work the same way) and YES again, depending....... The good news are: all the parts that usually wear out first and make the TC pop out of gear actually are identical to both styles. Just the front output sections and the rear output shafts are different and NOT interchangeable, everything else is exactly the same!... Gringeltaub"

Timely thread. I was just about to post the same with a different slant.

My air shift just started popping out of high range and I have purchased a Rockwell-rebuilt replacement. After checking one last time just to make sure it's not loose mount bolts, it will be installed.

The question has been what to do with the take out. Hate to scrap it, and one idea has been to rebuild it, though vendor parts seem to make that prohibitive. Sprag cases are around and those are possible donors, once we get the unit torn down and find out what's happening.

The quote above is very helpful. I'll be digging into this more shortly.

Steve

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... I thought you had the ability to permanently memorize everything you see, read, hear, etc and just pull it out of your head at a moments notice? :lol:
:funny:
Hahaha.... wish that was the case, Tom.
Most often I only know that at some time I knew the answer. :smile:
And I have to admit that it isn't always easy to find even my own posts...
Good thing is that we always have the Google button also, for everything that wouldn't come up with the forum's search engine!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks