• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfering a Permanent Antique Tag in Florida

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold my Deuce in early 2012 and kept the permanent antique tag. When I bought the M1028A2 later in 2012, I tried to transfer the permanent antique tag from the Deuce to it (RS-25, the procedure that covers ex-MVs says any tag office can do the transfer) and the local tag office couldn't make it happen. After wasting about an hour of my time I decided to just send in the form and get a new tag.

Fast forward to now. I bought a M929 out of LA and GL doesn't collect sales tax in LA for some reason; they send you a bill of sale and a title (in FL anyway) in GL's name with the transfer part filled out to you. You take this to the local DMV and pay the sales tax and transfer the title. I figured since I have to go there, I'll try to transfer the tag again.

The person that I ended up with, remembered me and had been helpful in the past. She thought it should be able to transfer but had the same problem again. The new manager came over and they talked about it and both thought it should work. The manager said she would call Tallahassee and get them involved. After my last attempt, I had called the Bureau of Issuance and Oversight (the division that handles the permanent antique/historical vehicle tags) and talked to a couple of people there. They confirmed the local tag office could do the transfer. I told the manager she probably needed to call the Bureau of Issuance and Oversight and gave her the contact info for the people I talked to.

I sat down for a while and shortly they called me back to the window and said they were waiting on a call back and if I wanted to leave, they would call me when they found out what to do. I figured I was hosed at this point so I went ahead and did the title transfer so if nothing happened, I didn't have to come back.

I went home and in about an hour, I got a call from the manager and she said they had it taken care of and the same clerk that helped me had the new registration and I didn't have to wait, just go up to the window.

When I got back to the tag office, I asked the clerk how they did it. She said the problem was because the vehicle wasn't 30 years old (ex-MVs in FL qualify regardless of year) the system wouldn't let them transfer the permanent antique tag. What they did, was change the year of the truck to more than 30 years old, transfer the tag, and then change the year back.

Before anyone asks; I don't know if the year change was done at the local tag office or Tallahassee. I also don't know if they actually got the Bureau of Issuance and Oversight, David Copperfield, or a fortune teller to help.

Bottom line, the transfer only cost $12.35 vs the ~$70 (don't remember the exact number) for mailing in the form and getting a new permanent antique tag. If you sell your ex-MV and have a permanent antique tag, hang on to the tag. It may save you a few bucks down the road.

Oh, the standard disclaimer applies; YMMV.... Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks