• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission fluid filter change

Duster06

I'm changing the filter on my 3 speed transmission. It has the 13 bolts around the edge and I am able to completely disconnect and drop the pan, but not remove it. The manual says that I shouldnt have to remove the cross brace in order to remove it but I can't see any other way. Does anyone know a trick that I am forgetting? I drive a 1987 6.5L

BLK HMMWV

Well odd that you have the 6.5 but not the upgraded 4L80trans .
It will be messy but yes you can remove the pan without removing the cross bar.
Lower one side of the pan and let the fluid drain into some form of a pan or bucket.
Once you let most of the fluid drain out over the edge you will be able to tilt the pan enough to clear the cross bar.
I would suggest thinking about looking for a new pan with a drain plug or modifying your old one and adding one while its out.
Believe me after cleaning up the mess your about to make you will appreciate the drain plug modification on the next fluid/ filter change.

Duster06

See that's the weird thing. I have the drain plug, and I tried that tilt technique but no dice. I still can't get it out

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See that's the weird thing. I have the drain plug, and I tried that tilt technique but no dice. I still can't get it out
Take the plug out and drain it. 3L80 normally have one.
Tilt method for non-drain plug 4L80e

Jakob1944

I would be game to watch a transmission filter ease through the drain plug hole......Why most A/T pans don't have the drain hole.......one usually changes the fluid and filter together at certain intervals......Maybe the Military have the drain hole/plug so in a field situation if one gets water in the system they can drain and refill and then do a complete service when they get their motor pool or when the opportunity presents itself.....my 2 cents......

See TM 9-2320-280-20-1......pg 2-26......table 2-1....item nr 30.2 and 31

And on hind-site maybe they have the plug hole so you can manage the fluid removal not get the fluid all over the ground/floor prior the pan removal to replace the filter and fluid.......

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks