• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission output shaft seal?

M37keppy

Hi all, I got a Xm211 that is leaking oil bad out the back on the output shaft of the reduction unit. Has anybody got a good part number for that seal and sleeve on the yoke for replacement? I haven't had much luck looking on line for a good part number. Thanks

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaky squeeky G749 weekly

Welcome to the site. I should be able to find a part spec for you, we just need to be sure what we're looking for.

Is it N? 7411666......that's a devil of a part but let's nail down what you need. If you're tearing it down yourself we should find a seal kit for you too. Just might have some stuff laying around here but lets get that shopping list together.

P1101093.jpgP1101092.jpg

M37keppy

Yes that's the one. I would like to pull it to see if there is a manufacturer name and number on the inside but I don't want to leave it open.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaky G749 transmissions

I sent a seal kit down to Rustystud so if he's opened it, he might be able to tell you if that seal is part of the kit...and what size it is. It might even be this one but I can't see a part number on it so we still have some info to gather.

P1111095.jpg

Turning to this page, we see 2 Ordnance Stock no.s. 7411666 and 8333405......and I'm not sure why.

P1111094.jpg

Manufacturers part #'s MFRS Part no.s are 8613649 and 8615499.........respective. Those numbers don't search well to find 'crossover' parts.... but I did see a bunch of groovy high tech patents searching "seal" , then the number.

The seal is described as SEAL oil, reduction unit output shaft, assy ( 2 1/2 x 3.626 x 3/4 )

or

( 2 1/2 x 3.626 x 5/8 )

This is a problem. They both say they supersede part 666 so ........did they change the shaft size at some point......What am I missing? Is the 3/4 or 5/8 a 'width' measurement?

There are a couple of guys around that rebuilt these before. If they don't chime in soon I'll knock on their door and we'll try to figure this out.

I've looked through 301MG and 303M Hydromatic transmission manual 9-8025-2 to check OD on the shaft but it evades me.

At the top of the Early Deuce forum you'll find a pile of Technical Manuals, TM's ....USMC 00-08 has put together a spectacular "Current available parts list", a few stickies with some good info...all for your reading pleasure.

Meanwhile, until we get a solid answer, here's the timken seal pdf, http://www.allsealsinc.com/pdfs/Timken_Seal_Interchange_and_Cross_Reference_Guide.pdf

M37keppy

Update. One of the MV part suppliers that advertise here had NOS ones for sale and I got one. The part number on it is a Chicago rawhide number that cross references to a SKF 2075 part number. Also the part number 8615499 that was listed above also cross referenced to the same number. So it looks like there is a modern replacement if needed in the future.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great that you followed up because the seal in the above photos is not the correct size. We'll get that new part number in the parts cross reference manual and I'm real happy this old book works for something.

Once you tear into it, check the 'width' and 'style' of the original seal for me. It may be that the after market or supply seals weren't the same design as the factory. Still trying to understand the width difference so original parts info will help.

These trucks were to be designed to be under water. Diffs that pressure up to keep water out and seals that grabbed shafts and rolled instead of rubbed. Looking forward to more progress.

USMC 00-08

Thank you for the part number M37keppy! I will get it added to the list soon. I'm in the middle of getting a new computer setup and still need to add MS Office so I can edit the parts list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks