• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever on M936A2 Wrecker

ccbamatx

Hey Guys...

I have just purchased a M936A2 Wrecker from Ft. Hood.

You guys have been a huge help.

My next question is about the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever. It seems like mine does not act like the TM suggests.

First, when I first got the truck the control lever was engaged.... I actually did not know it existed.

If the transfer case is in neutral, and I select gear 1-5, the rear winches engage.
If the transfer case is in gear, and I select gear 1-5, I can engage the PTO to run the front winch.

So what is the function of the Power Takeoff Control Lever?

Here is my problem... The TM says that if I am not using aux equipment, the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever should be forward... or disengaged.

When I push it forward (or disengage it to neutral) , when the transfer case is in gear, and I select a gear... 1 to 1-5, the truck "jolts" and dies.

I don't think that is intended.

So, in order for me to drive the truck, I have to have the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever engaged (pulled back)... or the truck dies when I select a gear.

Thoughts?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you operate the front winch you do not need to put the transfer case in neutral. That way when you put the Transmission in to 1-5 you can engage the Pto lever next to the transmission shiftier. (it stops the transmission from turning) Then put the transmission into Neutral to operate the front winch.

You will need to put the transfer case in to neutral to operate the boom and rear winch.

sandcobra164

I'm going out on a limb here but I think the designers were thinking that using the front winch with the transfer case engaged would be good for self recovery operations. Making it necessary to power the rear hydraulics would be useful if the wrecker was parked, transfer case was in neutral, and the truck could not unexpectedly move. The wreckers have an extra pump that is driven off of the transfer case that powers the hydraulics for the rear of the truck. Completely divided circuits but the simple interlocks will not allow for the power divider to be engaged and the transfer case to be shifted into gear. It will do just as you experienced, it will shut off the engine.

sandcobra164

Negative, they should both be disengaged when you are not using them. If you are using the drive wheels to help free the truck out of a mudhole in which the truck is mired, leave the front winch engaged so it can help with the recovery operation. If you have no need to use the hydraulics, they should both be disengaged as there is no need to circulate the hydraulic fluid until needed and doing so above 1,500 rpm in any situation will overheat the fluid as you will deadhead it and create alot of heat at the pump. I am confused by your lack of knowledge on the truck your are inquiring about. Instead of the usual read the TM's response, give me a call at 229-364-2842 around 10 in the morning. I still recommend downloading and reading the TM's but that response is frowned upon. With a Wrecker, it should be a mandatory response as that truck can hurt you pretty quickly if you don't know what you are doing with it.

ccbamatx

Ok... that was the point I was trying to make... but doing a poor job....

When I push the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever forward (or disengage it to neutral) , when the transfer case is in gear....

and I select a gear... 1 to 1-5, the truck "jolts" and dies.

It runs just fine if I leave the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever engaged.

It immediately dies, once I select a gear, if the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever is in neutral (forward).

I think you are saying that is not normal.

painter paul

Are you sure you are not confusing the 2 levers?. Also the transfer case PTO lever locks the brakes and the 2nd air bypass valve releases them for a self rear recovery when using the rear drag winch to pull yourself out backwards.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Okay start by disengaging both PTO levers and putting both the transfer case and transmission in neutral and park brake set then crank the engine put the transfer case in high range by pushing the silver button and then down on the handle until it is parallel to the floor, when the air pressure has come up to 130 psi put you foot on the brake and release the park brake then place the transmission in 1-5 if the truck dies pull out on silver button on transfer case shifter and put the transmission in neutral and restart truck and the try again. If it still doesn't work check the switch in the handle for the transfer case to make sure it is working.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ccbamatx

Thanks guys for the direction. I had to leave the truck in the field for a few days.... the 14.00R20 just magically blew out on the side wall... I will be able to get back to it next week and let you know what worked.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys for the direction. I had to leave the truck in the field for a few days.... the 14.00R20 just magically blew out on the side wall... I will be able to get back to it next week and let you know what worked.
You think getting the pto engaged was difficult...

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys...

I have just purchased a M936A2 Wrecker from Ft. Hood.

You guys have been a huge help.

My next question is about the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever. It seems like mine does not act like the TM suggests.

First, when I first got the truck the control lever was engaged.... I actually did not know it existed.

If the transfer case is in neutral, and I select gear 1-5, the rear winches engage.
If the transfer case is in gear, and I select gear 1-5, I can engage the PTO to run the front winch.

So what is the function of the Power Takeoff Control Lever?

Here is my problem... The TM says that if I am not using aux equipment, the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever should be forward... or disengaged.

When I push it forward (or disengage it to neutral) , when the transfer case is in gear, and I select a gear... 1 to 1-5, the truck "jolts" and dies.

I don't think that is intended.

So, in order for me to drive the truck, I have to have the Transmission Power Takeoff Control Lever engaged (pulled back)... or the truck dies when I select a gear.

Thoughts?
Sounds completely opposite of how it's supposed to function. When you pull the control lever toward the back of the cab(or up) the parking brakes should engage. Not the other way around. Do you hear the brakes engaging when you push it down???? I'm not familiar with how the linkage is connected to the lever(never looked at mine), maybe someone hooked it up backwards. When you're using the boom, transfer case needs to be in neutral. You then pull the lever back(or up) engaging the pto for the winch and it sets the brakes, select 1-5 on the shifter, you then want to use the hand throttle to set the rpm at 1350. If it's doing the opposite then sounds to me like the linkage is backwards somehow at the lever. I'll crawl under and get a picture if you need one how it should be hooked up to the lever.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks