• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission swaps

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a controller and some $$$$ :mrgreen:

How are you going to handle the speedo cable? New instrument cluster?

Not saying it can't be done. You just have to spend enough money.

Last edited:
Should be OK with a 205/208 - was used in 2001-2006 GM heavy duty 3/4 and 1 tons. Approx 35# heavier than the TH400 at 230# -vs- 195#

Gertag / ZF S6-560 (6 speed manual) transmission gear ratio's and percent step between them

1 4.23
67%
2 2.53
51%
3 1.67
36%
4 1.23
23%
5 1.00
27%
6 0.79

R 5.23

Last edited:

WARWAG

You also get a taller over drive .73 and a lower first 6.43 or the 5.41 depending on which year the GM NV4500 is. Either way its a pretty staright forward swap. No need for a body lift either.

Those ratios I quoted are close. I dont recall of hand without going to google.

WARWAG

Here you go:
GM 93-94...................... [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]95/up GM; 93/up Dodge[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]First Gear[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]6.34 .................[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]5.61[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Second Gear[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3.44............. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3.04[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Third Gear[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1.71................ [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1.67[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Fourth Gear[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1.00 ...............[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Fifth Gear[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]0.73 ..................[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]0.73[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Reverse[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]6.34 .....................[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]5.04[/FONT]

Last edited:

Keith_J

The NV4500 will handle anything you want to tow with a CUCV. It isn't as much a function of GCVW but rather engine. Be aware it needs special synthetic lube.

most newer trans have to run synthetic lubes because of the tight tolerances. I have driven so many trucks that are (under built)... That when you need everything out of your truck you want to know it has it and more to give, over build and you can always drive with confidence. People tell my all the time turbo 400 auto-trans is bullet proof, With the three i broke this year i am up to 20 in total. Switching to a manual makes the most "cents" and if your going to take the time to go that far go the best.:driver:

Keith_J

The NV 35/4500 series have different synchro rings which is why they need special synthetic lubes. Tolerances aren't the reason, bearings and gear design are, out of the goal of reducing energy loss. Which makes it a better transmission as long as you use the correct lube.

The NV 4500 is a great transmission.

I will be towing up to 8000# at times, and was more concerned with the gear splits than low or tall end of range gears - t-case can take care of low and ring/pinion and tire size the top end.

Also will not be running an overpumped and aggressively tuned/nitrous fed high HP engine - 250 to 400hp max (ideally a supercharged 6.2). Since planning for the Arctic not the desert the air temp issue should be minimal when mostly used at -40 to 50 degrees F.

Looked at the NV4500 as it is the same weight and only about $1500 but had only seen the early version - didn't like the 2nd/3rd split which is a 101% step. The newer version is better, with the splits being 85/82/67/37 % which is not to bad.

But the 6 speed NV5600 has better splits (at 67/66/47/39/37 %) and also has an OK 1st and 6th (5.63 and 0.73) but it runs more like $2500 and weighs 330# (+70% or 165# heavier)

The S6-560's 1st and 6th are not as nice, but the splits are slightly better (67/51/36/23/27 %) and the cost is comparabe to the NV4500 with only a 20% weight penalty and as mentioned correct ratio/tire and range selection should take care of that .

As to the height, all 3 require a new transmission tunnel or a body lift so I thought that was a wash... all that is different is the ammount of additional clearance needed.

NOTE: All of this is based on research, not experience. hence the post - theory sometimes lives in a different universe than reality!

Last edited:

badassissimo

I'm curious about a transmission swap myself. The last time I drove the m1009, I couldn't go over 35 without the tires screeching in between gears. It was locking up in between gears and taking too long. I don't know anything about transmissions other than that was bad and had me powersliding on dry pavement. I had already tried some new fluid so I guess the next step was a rebuild kit. That was priced at about 200 so I thought I should just buy a used tansmission to save the headache. I figure I should also take the opportunity to convert to standard and find something with a pto on it. The guy at oreillys said an allison on an 05 or newer would be the best option. Does this sound right to anyone? I had heard that chevy engine and transmissions have followed the same bolt pattern since like the 70s so it should bolt on right? Maybe need some extra room but the transmisson would bolt on and I could use it, right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks