• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission valve body question

Valor

Need help.
1991 M936A2 with standard Allison setup.

Took valve body apart to clean it and loosen the stuck valve.
During the teardown, 2 small balls fell out.
Need to figure out where both go!
Closest I came up with is SM1317EN (page 118) but that covers MT653 and lists 1 check ball https://www.scribd.com/document/326083572/MT-600-Service-Manual-SM1317-199907
I have SM1546EN and on page 6-21, figure 6-27, it shows the locations of 3 balls. I tried to copy and paste but it wouldn't work. That figure is for the MT654CR trans.

Mario

I have SM1546EN and on page 6-21, figure 6-27, it shows the locations of 3 balls. I tried to copy and paste but it wouldn't work. That figure is for the MT654CR trans.
Please take a picture with a phone, or screen capture and post it or PM me.
Or, share the PDF with me.

Mario

On the MT654 valve body, are all 3 check balls used?
When I took mine out, I only located 2 out of the 3 balls.
While it's possible that I dropped/lost one, the area was clear of clutter, and parts cleaner is brand new with new fluid, which is to say that it's easy to spot lose parts, even small, brownish 1/4" plastic balls.
I know on some transmissions, the check balls are purposely left out.
Wanted to reach out to experts here to see if our tranny is similar, and if so, which ball(s) to omit.

purple_duckk

Hey, what was your transmission doing that caused you to want to tear down the valve body? I think I've narrowed down an issue upshifting way too early to the valve body.

Mario

Hey, what was your transmission doing that caused you to want to tear down the valve body? I think I've narrowed down an issue upshifting way too early to the valve body.
Wasn't shifting. No forward movement, only rear. It was killing the engine. It spun the prop shaft even in neutral.
It was determined that 3rd ring was stuck which controls 4th and reverse IIRC.
I worked on a few obvious things first, but in the end, I got another tranny and did a direct swap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks