• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck bought for parts, got it running, but…

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so like many here I ended up buying a 2008 REV M1151A1 with 8k miles, initially for parts, but after picking it up, found that it had an IROAN in 2012 and it shows that the air filter was last replaced in 2020 at around 5k miles.
The good news is that I was able to get it started and after changing the oil the engine sounds very buttery, the transmission and steering seem to work very well.
Now the bad news :)
1. There is some blow-by, it did get reduced a lot after the oil change (I use Shell T6 15W40 synthetic) and after adding the CDR valve), but still visible and it would push the oil fill cap about 1/4” up if I put it upside down.
There is also a little oil in the air filter that looks like it came from the original blow-by.

2. There is exhaust escaping mainly at startup where it connects by the turbo, circled in red in the picture below:

8580A0DE-9A04-4637-A669-7F7681548882.jpeg

I presume this is an easy fix by tightening the two bolts, which attach the exhaust pipe?

3. Oil leaks at turbo and what appears to be at the valves cover on driver side? I am planning to clean the engine to see exactly where it’s coming from:

3B5903D0-A3F6-4C1D-AC23-09042E486E25.jpeg940FC24E-EF4D-485A-8A9C-D2AD3F9BAC3E.jpegD5739976-6539-4CC9-B8B8-30F9C1CE3201.jpeg

How bad is it?
Where should I start?

Reactions: OBX

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil pressure looks good and one interesting thing is that it doesn’t do the glow-plugs pulsing that my 1165A1 does, even as they were both built around the same time:

CAFA1519-2D2C-4497-B6C1-17BCA1C387E6.jpeg

EDIT: The alternator is working and the batteries are being charged.

Last edited:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a rebuilt engine, they can be a bit of leakers, pressure wash the engine and get it all cleaned up.
Turbo snow man seal is easy to replace..the exhaust down pipe is loose, needs to be tightened up At the turbo
Thank you! I feel more optimistic now :)
I will pressure wash the engine and report back.
Still don’t feel good about the blow-by, will do a video, not sure if it’s too much.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a rebuilt engine, they can be a bit of leakers, pressure wash the engine and get it all cleaned up.
Turbo snow man seal is easy to replace..the exhaust down pipe is loose, needs to be tightened up At the turbo
How can you tell that it was rebuilt? From the RTV on valves seal cover?

GopherHill

Thank you! I feel more optimistic now :)
I will pressure wash the engine and report back.
Still don’t feel good about the blow-by, will do a video, not sure if it’s too much.
I wouldn't be too worried about the blow by.
After driving it for a time, the rings will get settled in. Blow by should mostly go away after a few hundred miles.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, which one is the Turbo main seal, I only found this turbo diagram in the engine manual and it shows only one O ring, item #2:

575BD7A7-8E1A-4345-B1FA-3616F0E83ED3.jpeg

Is there another manual with expanded view of the turbo internal components?

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you replace the CDR valve with a fording type? if so are you sure it is installed correctly?
The fording valve when switch into fording mode would necessarily create more blow-by as it tries to build crankcase/vent system pressure.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you replace the CDR valve with a fording type? if so are you sure it is installed correctly?
The fording valve when switch into fording mode would necessarily create more blow-by as it tries to build crankcase/vent system pressure.
Wow!!! That’s amazing troubleshooting!
Yes, I did use a DWF CDR valve, only because that’s what I had laying around, and didn’t even think about it until now that you mentioned it.
But, when I open the oil fill tube to check the blow-by , isn’t the CDR being taken out of the circuit as the pressure exits via the so called the path of least resistance, without even making it to the CDR?

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't be too worried about the blow by.
After driving it for a time, the rings will get settled in. Blow by should mostly go away after a few hundred miles.
Actually, there are only about 100 hours on the Tachometer, maybe it got replaced and that’s all the engine had after the re-build?

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow!!! That’s amazing troubleshooting!
Yes, I did use a DWF CDR valve, only because that’s what I had laying around, and didn’t even think about it until now that you mentioned it.
But, when I open the oil fill tube to check the blow-by , isn’t the CDR being taken out of the circuit as the pressure exits via the so called the path of least resistance, without even making it to the CDR?
With the CDR valve in "normal" it pulls a slight vacuum on the crankcase to pull the internal blow-by into the intake to burn the fumes.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just clean it up and run it for awhile before tearing into the "leaks" some could be caused by too much crankcase pressure.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the CDR valve in "normal" it pulls a slight vacuum on the crankcase to pull the internal blow-by into the intake to burn the fumes.
Ok, I will replace it with a regular one. I plugged that in just to see if the blow-by improved and I didn’t connect the vent lines.

9E2BF488-A93D-424F-92EC-35367459EB20.jpeg

I was thinking that if the oil fill cap is open the CDR valve does’t have any effect as the blow-by would exit there without making it down the intake/ CDR valve tube, but maybe it builds it up snd is not something instant?

I think you can tell that I am a little obsessed with this blow-by :)

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just clean it up and run it for awhile before tearing into the "leaks" some could be caused by too much crankcase pressure.
You read my mind, when I saw the leaks and the whole engine being black, I thought the pressure blew most of the seals and everything black is oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks