• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck pulls left then over corrects and pulls right

koltin

Soo having problems with the truck... again. Problem just started. I can be driving perfectly straight down the road, steering working perfect. Then the truck will suddenly pull left most of the time sometimes right. This happens while driving straight down the road. It won't let me correct slightly. So when I go to correct the truck so I don't hit the median/go into opposite traffic the steering is stiff and then the truck over corrects. If I pull over and turn it lock to lock it will correct the steering sometimes for the rest of the drive, sometimes for a couple blocks... anyone know what this could be?

KsM715

I can't help you trouble shoot the problem other than to tell you for public safety ( and your own) you need to take that vehicle to a qualified shop or at least someone that knows the ins and outs of steering and front suspension issues and not drive it till it's fixed.

I dont know cucv's well enough to know if it's a power steering issues.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had one that did the same thing. Pitman and control arm. Replace it. Might want to check the bushings on your sway bar while your at it. Both of these are fairly easy to do even for a novice. If that doesn't fix it, then it is probably gonna be slightly harder to fix but imho try those two first. Download the TM and follow the instructions on how to replace them.

61sleepercab

With truck parked, have someone work steering and watch/ feel steering joints for excess play. Turn wheel and watch pitman motion and steering shaft to steering box imput shaft motion. Turning hard seems to be steering box related as well as darting left or right. Pitman arm and idler arm . Good luck. Mark

THE TRUCK IS NOT SAFE FOR TRAVEL WITHOUT REPAIR!!!!!! Take that advice from a retired attorney/prosecutor.

richingalveston

steering gear box, I had one do this to me and the gear box was worn so that the gears were skipping teeth. It gets very stiff while the steering shaft gear is on top of the tooth of the other gear, when you jerk it, the gears drop over the tooth and back down into position. The gears are just really worn in one spot so it does not continue to happen in one direction, it works its way back and forth. A few times to the left and then one to the right to put it back in position until it works its way back the other direction.

Pitman arms, drag links, and tie rod ends will be easy to detect. The steering box is normally the last place people look.

dependable

Check all of above, I even had one where the steering box was coming unbolted from frame.

Have also seen frame cracks where box mounts. That can be reenforced by a good welder.

If you have some play in the steering wheel, but detect no play in drag link & tie rod ends, loose bolts or bending frame, it is worn steering box. Output shaft moving up and down at all is also sign of worn box.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allow me to add that sometimes brake calipers can get sticky and apply unevenly, giving the symptoms you describe. The hydraulic pressure can be the same in each caliper but the effective stopping effort of the calipers can vary according to the "stickion".

If the steering and suspension components check out good, you may want to consider a slightly stuck caliper.

Rick

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Mine was acting very similar and I also had a few inches of play in the steering wheel, when driving down the road, before it would react, left and right. I replaced the steering box (my steering box was also loose) (bolts backing out) the new box corrected all the problems and the steering wheel is straight and tight with no more swaying while driving. The pitman arms and other things are real easy to check. If you have someone turn the wheel (I took the weight off the front end slightly when I checked mine)you will be able to see what it moving and grooving down there. If all looks good, Id vote for the steering box.

koltin

Thanks guys. not necessarily a novice, just wanted another angle on what might be going on. I have a feeling its the box everything else seems tight. I'll make sure I go back over everything again. I've dealt with steering, this it just something new and weird that I've never felt before... along with the speedometer needle spinning like the exorcist and then falling off and one of the generators not charging... guess i gotta make some time to work my my truck

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the steering box to me too. However you may want to check the torque on the U-bolts, and check all 4 spring bushings.

I had to install a new 2WD box when I installed cross over steering. I still have my original box which only has 12,000 miles. You are welcome to it for the cost of crating and freight. PM me if interested.

Hope this helps.

The Baron

This is probably way too late to help you, but I figured I'd put it down for anyone looking at this thread for help. I had a similar situation where I would turn the wheel a little bit whether to make a turn or correct the truck when it was pulling. It would clunk and pull violently to that direction, then I would turn the wheel the other way and it would pull violently that way. I would have to keep turning the wheel back and forth until it corrected itself. The problem turned out to be an almost frozen U-joint.

oboyjohn

You beat me to it The Baron. I had the same problem on a old CJ-7 many moons ago and it did exactly as you described. I replaced both U joints and it went away.

acesneights1

This is probably way too late to help you, but I figured I'd put it down for anyone looking at this thread for help. I had a similar situation where I would turn the wheel a little bit whether to make a turn or correct the truck when it was pulling. It would clunk and pull violently to that direction, then I would turn the wheel the other way and it would pull violently that way. I would have to keep turning the wheel back and forth until it corrected itself. The problem turned out to be an almost frozen U-joint.
This/\
I had exactly the problem you described twice and both times it was a nearly frozen front axle joint. Very simple to diagnose. Jack the front axle up on both sides and take the two front tires off. See if the steering is binding. If it is, pop the draglink off the steering arm . Try moving the knuckles. If they still won't turn you probably have a bad u joint. This drove me nuts and the violent steering left to right is exactly what I experienced.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?85628-Steering-problem-Bad&highlight=

ranchhopper

Bad steering U-joints on the front axle had a ford F-350 would do the same thing start pulling toward the ditch I would turn the wheel to compensate after a certain point it would let go and want to put me in the oncoming traffic lane.

koltin

Ended up seelling the truck. Can't remember what the guy that bought it had to put into it to fix it. I think it needed atleast a bearing and maybe a king pin. but not entirely sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks