• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-Joint part number

missionexpert

I'm trying to determine what are the correct part numbers for the u-joints for the rear drive shaft. I unfortunately have the rear one that connects to the diff is all worn out. I'm planning on changing both ends of the shaft at the same time. When I disassembled it I noticed one was labeled SPICER U58 at the rear and SPICER U55 at the front end of the shaft. I can't find these part numbers online. I've tried searching the forum but it will not let me search for u-joint since it is looking for the letter U and it's too short a term. So if it's already been discussed, excuse my inability to find it!

U55 and U58 look to be the same size visually, but I'm not sure. Auto parts store said 5-1330x. I'm not so sure.
It's a 1992 M998.
I also searched an NSN number and found 5-213X , but not sure if the NSN number I searched is for a front or rear shaft.
Any guidance would be appreciated!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best I can remember 1330 would be correct, I think the heavy variant uses a 1350

missionexpert

Thanks. While I was waiting for replies I took a caliper and measured it. Seems to be 92 mm length and 27mm dia caps. This matches with a 5-1330X.
TM shows two different part numbers for the same item, so not clear in the TM. TM lists 2-5-848X and 2-5-668X for item 21 in the propeller shaft parts list. Thanks for pointing it out, I had a different TM.Screenshot 2021-04-11 202253.jpg

Action

Thanks. While I was waiting for replies I took a caliper and measured it. Seems to be 92 mm length and 27mm dia caps. This matches with a 5-1330X.
TM shows two different part numbers for the same item, so not clear in the TM View attachment 831032
What does the image before this list look like? It shows a qty of 1. In my TM 9-2320-280-24P, the rear propshaft for the 218 transfer case has the same u-joint at each end, and a qty of 2 needed. Are you looking at the correct propshaft?

missionexpert

What does the image before this list look like? It shows a qty of 1. In my TM 9-2320-280-24P, the rear propshaft for the 218 transfer case has the same u-joint at each end, and a qty of 2 needed. Are you looking at the correct propshaft?
Looks like I was looking at the front, I need the rear. Based on the transfer case I have with part number 12340073-1 I need number 7 in that first part of the diagram. Screenshot 2021-04-11 223455.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-11 223620.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a list of UOC’s near ffont of the Tm.
Useable On Code
There should be a class or online tutorial! So if I am reading this correctly my 92 and 93 M998 should be an H13?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks