• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown trailer ???

Jones

What does the plate in 'unknown 3' say? With the controls that look like they work the sides and what appears to be an auger on the bottom, my guess it's some kind of spreader but for what...?!?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Unknown trailer ???

I've seen manure spreaders that look like that. They usually have the output at the rear of the trailer, which is why this is throwing me off, since it seems to lack an output.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

It looks like an asphalt or road base spreader. There are skids on the ends, the tongue comes off, wheels that look like they support the front...the left side of the trailer...and maybe turn the auger, there is a latching mechanizm on the left side where it would hook to a vehicle to be towed and the handle on the back side controls a gate above a roller, like to gauge the thickness of the applied material. Is it on GL? If so, click on the NSN and it might tell what it was/is.
In the first pic, there is another one of them, but it has no transport trailer, it's on the ground.

DavidB

Transport system for aggrigaite spreading box mounts to rear of truck from side.Wheels removed slides on runners at bottom ends.Three sold at McCoy not long ago.
DavidB

Kwai

DavidB got it. I did some more research and found that it's an aggregate spreader.

What kind of truck does it attach to?

NB1944

This could be a trailer used by airborne troops to prepare for roadwork/airstrip ops. It definitely is Mil-spec, but it appears to be lightly built (perhaps to save weight). One of our guys have several pcs of airborne gear similar to this, but I have not seen this type of trailer, specifically. It appears to be late war/Korea vintage. Check the Data plates.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know the 642nd Engineers had these but they were sitting on the ground. When I was a lieutenant I went to their motorpool to contact them about sufacing our truck motorpool. When I asked if they had tailgate spreaders for their dumps they looked at me like I was from Mars. I walked around the motorpool and found two of these sitting on the ground. I asked them if they knew what they were and the Engineer lieutenant told me they did not know and were getting ready to turn them in as excess. I grew up in the country and these are invaluable for a smooth even bed of aggregate when using a dump truck to lay the stone. I have not seen them on the trailer as shown but it looks pretty light weight.

KsM715

Sorry to dig up an old thread but.... did anyone find out what truck this attached to? do you have to put it on a truck to use? I would like to have something to help spread gravel on my driveway but I dont have a dump truck and doubt this would attach to my M715

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This kind of equipment is fairly common in small townships that have a lot of gravel roads. It's most often referred to as a "Maintainer". This is an old one. Most today have the spreaders powered through hydraulic gearboxes. The attachment points for the rear of truck are very evident in the pics,(the prong looking things). Then chains hook up to the rear of the bed in the keyholes much like they do when you set the gate for tailgating materials. In this pic of my IH you can see the round bar across the rear. It's not a bumper! This is where the prong attachment hooks on. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks