• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Markings

gunter635

I need help on final decision. Here's what I have. 1953 M38a1 Strada Blue. Her are the markings that are gong on it, but I need some help deciding which hood numbers to use. Yellow 3" lettering- U. S. AIR FORCE, 2nd line- 53B8056 or 20958056 Which one of these numbers do I use on the hood? also the "official use only" in yellow and 1" letters. Now for the bumperetts, I am going to use 340BS BAFB for Blytheville, AFB. Yellow or white for these? Last question---tire pressure and hood lock warning-yellow or white? If yellow, what color yellow? I'm also going to add this to the inside windshield "caution low flying aircraft" I kinda like that one. OK guys, what do you think? Thanks.

gungearz

I think that there needs to be a sh*t storm in research because each truck had different ID numbers on them for one reason or another. Even if 2 identical Trucks that did the same thing in their career together wouldn't have the same markings as the other.

gerrykan

gunter635,
Here is an OD M38A1 in a U.S. Air Force recruiting poster showing the hood numbers.
Sorry for the poor images. It is too large for my scanner, and couldn't get a good photo without the flash.

Attachments

RangerBob

First, here's a link to my tiny little thread in the official colors for strata blue and insignia yellow. I don't know the standard for the white lettering.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/76781-usaf-strata-blue-insignia-yellow.html

Second, a little bit about markings, including links to the TOs (newer editions) telling exactly how and where to mark.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/76870-usaf-ground-vehicle-registration-numbers.html

Third, my opinion. Do it all in strata blue and insignia yellow. I haven't seen any USAF vehicles that mixed yellow and white markings, but my experience with the older wheels is extremely limited. 20958056 should be on the hood and 53B8056 on the door (2nd line).

Last edited:

BillF

My orginal USAF m38 has the Hood number of USAF N-1346. Found after sanding. A good hood number for your m38a1 would be 53 B then your serial number. B might not be the letter you want to use you can look up the markings to see.

gunter635

Thanks to all that replied. Your pictures and links helped me in my decision. Special thanks to RangerBob for the links which lead to the colors and to T.O. 36-1-3. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again. ssw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks