• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Vehicle Markings - Overseas

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been studying TO 36-1-191 on USAF vehicle maintenance, chapters on vehicle markings and have this question for FORMER SERVING S/S members.....

Markings generally lusterless black 2.39, HOWEVER the National Symbol for vehicles posted to overseas operations should display five pointed star in "Lusterless WHITE" 2.41. I am not seeing any further clarification saying black instead of white where camouflaged or combat situations exist ....

I will be painting a USAF semi trailer as posted to the Gulf so am just checking with anyone that can confirm that white star is ok...

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the only thing I can say for certain is that the USAF HMMWVs that were "allocated" to the USAF guys, but required US Army to maintain while I was in Korea, did NOT have a white star. IIRC of the 3, 2 were OD Green and one was woodland. All 3 had decals (vs. paint) on the hood that siad "U.S. Air Force" and a registration type number.

I know it's newer than what you are looking for, but might be worth $0.02

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
36-1-191 was mostly blue fleet, with a little on tactical, there was a USAFE sup to 191 or a tactical vehicle marking TO, 36-1-3 MAYBE, See para 3-71. Uploaded a copy to TM, it was the precursor to 191. Im old and its been years since I had to conjure up those numbers for the USAF asset that were assigned to the MP. There was also a Instruction to 36-1-191 it was a supplement if I remember correctly

Each USAF tectical unit had specified markings and as long as they met the spirit and intent of -3 or 191, they were pretty free to mark as needed. 83k1234 US Air Force for official use

In Italy they did away with those markinga and went to a plate that was mounted adjacent to the AFI
plate, you can see the green plate and it had XXKXXXX and the AFI plate was kept in the cab, black star center hood front

DSC01054.JPG

Let me do some soul searching..see what I can dig up out of the corner of this brain..

The only white star I ever saw on a USAF tactical asset was on a 69's SOG Jeep in Korea and that was in the 80's, and I spent multiple years in Holland, Denmark, Germany, BH, Austria, Poland (before they were in nato) and Italy slopping around the MP

The white star was phased out starting in 1975, when the Mobility Equipment Research and Development Center (MERDC) 4-color camouflage scheme was adopted.

Here is the AFI plate before they went to subdued. We always ragged on the AFSOC guys, because a USAF tactical stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the Army rigs. They even went so far and fabbed blackout covers for the plate...Eventually they figured out the white plate was a target when they started shipping them to the war zone
mvg_reg_federal_375.jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked into the TO 36-1-3 you posted elsewhere that included changes up to May 1993, it does mention Black lusterless National Symbol when used when marking Camouflage pattern painted vehicles 3.71 b - I'll assume that goes for sand too.
I don't know if there was mix n match with a newer tractor and an older trailer [ 3-2a], vehicles procured after Jan 92 were to have Standardized Air Force license plate (color dependent on vehicle color), prior to that - unless vehicle was totally repainted, would keep the stenciled markings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks