• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

use towbar to push?

Atwater

knowing it is a bad idea to pull a deuce with a pickup how bad of an idea would it be to use a tow-bar and say an m1008 to push? short distance, low speed, 2 drivers:cookoo::?:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled mine a couple of miles with the pickup. Deuce had air for the brakes and a driver. Just used a chain.

armytruck63

It can be done, but make any turns as wide as possible. I would recommend having a ground guide also to watch in case anything goes hinkey.

I pushed a dead Pinzgauer 712 ambulance up my driveway with my son using an M1009 as the pusher. The only two problems we ran into is turning the steering wheel on the M1009 too sharp and having the front wheels hop. We also found the bar was in a mechanical bind when we went to unhook it. We had to drive out the pin on the front of the Pinzgauer to unhook the bar. Our turns were somewhat sharp and the whole operation was uphill.

We used the "medium" tow bar.

Last edited:

Atwater

some friends of ours have pushed one pickup with another when the dead one did not have a towbar. just got to thinking it might be an option to get a deuce off base if the powers that be would not let you drive off. though now that i think of it they probably wouldn't like this idea either:shock:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What base?

Atwater

seeing as the auction is on going maybe i shouldn't say? im just trying have a few plausible backup plans for when the ideal situation doesn't happen:shock:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, If you need help up my way, just say so. I'm 55 miles from the gate.

I wouldn't consider any half baked ideas on towing one out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This makes me wonder..... I bet a team of horses, would pull a deuce just fine......

mangus580

I pulled mine about a mile this past winter with the wifes Suburban... top speed about 30 - turn out of one driveway, and pulled off the side of the road a the other end.

of course, I have also towed a suburban with a golf cart - so maybe I am not a good example??

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't recommend towing one with a smaller truck any distance but I have to think it would be safer than pushing it.

The only real issue I've had towing a deuce with my 3/4 ton dodge (off road) is when the deuce decides to turn when you want to go straight. Again, I'm not recommending this but if you had somebody in the deuce to steer and go slow you should be able to keep it in the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks