• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used Motor Oil as fuel?

Is it possible to use used motor oil as fuel in an M925? If so how is it made ready to use?, just filter it? Got any instructions, or photos of a good do it yourself filter set up? Assuming it can be used, does it have to be mixed with diesel, or can it run 100%, if it does have to be mixed, what ratio? Does it matter if it's real, or synthetic oil? Are only certain types acceptable? How much milliage does oil get vs. diesel? Is running oil bad for the engine?

Triple C

Just to help clarify what ducer said, the motor you have in your 925 is not a multifuel motor as was the case in some earlier 2.5ton models. If the motor is not rated multifuel, I would be very careful what you run through it, injector pumps can be expensive. Do a thread search on the topic as well as look at the section ducer sent you to, there is lots of information on this site about it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been reports of people running some motor oil mixed with the diesel in a 250 Cummins. I don't know what the max ratio is but I wouldn't want to add too much. If you decide to mix some of it just make sure you filter the oil really well and make sure there is no water in it.

commandojeff

How much oil do you have? Would your cost saving running any of the oil really save you that much money in diesel? Seems like a risk I would not be willing to take unless I really had to.

Any alternatives to diesel in an M925?

Any alternatives to running straight diesel in an M925? I really would like to stretch fuel, but my ideas are being stymied by a non multifuel engine. Is there anything that can be done on a shoestring budget? (By shoestring I basically mean none.) I just can't afford a dollar a mile, and by the same breath can not afford expensive modifications, or gear, so is there any way to stretch the fuel, or atleast improve efficiency on the (very) cheap?

dburt

Back quite a few years ago when the 250 Cummins was a common engine in log trucks and farm trucks, some of the old timers would take the used engine oil after a scheduled oil change and filter it well, and then dump the 3-4 gallons of the used but filtered oil into a mostly full tank of diesel fuel and run it thru as a 'fuel supplement'. In a ratio of about 1 gallon of oil to 15 gallons or more of diesel every once in a while, it did not hurt the engine or the injection pump or injectors. Many of the old timers also would run fresh engine oil or ATF in the diesel fuel as an injection pump lube. But the ratio was much larger, ie: 1 gallon of ATF or engine oil to 50-75 gallons of diesel. But trying to use a Cummins 250 as a multi-fuel engine would not be wise.

Beyond Biodiesel

Any diesel engine can theoretically burn any waste oil. Synthetic oils and waste motor oil (WMO) burn the same in any diesel engine. However, all waste oils burned as fuel should be de-watered and hyper filtered. Most people who burn WMO in a diesel engine blend gasoline at 15-20% with it, then leave the blend to settle for 1-4 weeks, then hyper filter, then centrifuge it. Most of those who claim success with burning WMO blends have a turbo charger on their diesel engine.

The problem with WMO as a fuel is it tends to be heavily burned, and saturated in dissolved ash and carbon, which can result in coked injectors. So, either distilling it, or running it in low concentrations, as dburt suggested, but processed as above, should work in any diesel engine.

Captaincarrier

Most older diesels will burn used oil but it is best to keep it below 5% mixed. New diesels are very very subject to costly repairs due to the computized fuel systems and sensors.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Back in the day it was not unusual for large trucking companies to burn waste motor oil in their trucks. They usually had their own on site fuel tanks and the ratio was very high. I was driving a dump truck hauling asphalt and saw the old timers pour unfiltered WMO straight into their fuel tanks but most of them were old school mechanics too and I guess if something went wrong they just rebuilt the engine or pump. This was when diesel was less than a dollar a gallon so I don't know whether they were just cheap or were using the WMO as a lubricant. Considering all the crud in WMO I'd think a long time before I ran it in my low mileage Cummins.

o1951

To sum it up, it is a pay me now or pay me later deal. Unlike a multi, the elastomers in the IP may not be able to handle WMO, requiring a rebuild. WMO has a lot of carbon, ash and heavy metals. That is why it is best to centrifuge it. If it is not centrifuged, there is a risk of coking up and damaging injectors. So, you can maybe save a few bucks now, and probably spend a LOT more later.

Beyond Biodiesel

To sum it up, it is a pay me now or pay me later deal. WMO has a lot of carbon, ash and heavy metals. That is why it is best to centrifuge it. If it is not centrifuged, there is a risk of coking up and damaging injectors. So, you can maybe save a few bucks now, and probably spend a LOT more later.
I agree fully with the above
Unlike a multi, the elastomers in the IP may not be able to handle WMO, requiring a rebuild.
I disagree here. WMO is just a used portion of the petroleum stream, therefore the seals used for diesel fuel are the same seals used for motor oil, used or new.

However. the problem with burning WMO, aside from ash and coke, is most people who burn WMO eventually thin it by blending the WMO with gasoline. Gasoline sold in the USA after 1996 has been blended with alcohol at about 10%. Alcohol at that level will definitely cause serious damage to the seals that were commonly used in diesel engines made prior to 1996, and even at present. However, if the gasoline content of a WMO blend is at or below 30%, then seal swelling will not be observed.

m109a2

Read our tms if it does not say mulifuel do not mess with that.I have heard guys that mix 50% filterded wmo and did fine.The multifuel has a compression ratio of 22 t0 1 comparded to a normal diesel at 17 to 1. Just thought I would help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks