V Regulator needed for MEP-803A 10kw

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

bontonjeff

I have contacted the company that is local and me and Clearwater as a matter fact and I’m waiting for the reply but their initial response was – “huh?” so am checking here also for alternative sources/ideas for possible repair.

A knowledgeable electronics repair tech should be able to probe around the integrated circuit and determine which component on the board failed - no ? But locating a local tech like thus is harder than it used to be. Geek Squad at Best Buy maybe ? Ideas welcome/needed thanks.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How fast you need this? GMG has it in stock right now for $276+freight. If you hit up the big auction site, with the search term "New Voltage Regulator 60 Has 30554 ASSY 88-21063 Technology Research Corp " you will see one with a starting bid of $99 on it.

Good luck either way.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did your 803 have the "Fuse Mod" installed before the regulator failed?

The picture of your circuit board looks to be discolored in the area of the bridge rectifier circuit.
The bridge rectifier circuit in the A1 is prone to shorting out. If you had the fuse mod installed AND the regulator then failed then you should only need a new VR.
If your set didn't have the fuse mod installed when the regulator failed then the quad winding in the generator heads stator is likely damaged. Not good.

The listing for the $99 VR mentioned above has been on the big auction site for about a month. Hopefully you can snap it up!

If you get a replacement I'd be happy to attempt to repair and test your bad one for you. PM me if interested.

cbisson

I have contacted the company that is local and me and Clearwater as a matter fact and I’m waiting for the reply but their initial response was – “huh?” so am checking here also for alternative sources/ideas for possible repair.

A knowledgeable electronics repair tech should be able to probe around the integrated circuit and determine which component on the board failed - no ? But locating a local tech like thus is harder than it used to be. Geek Squad at Best Buy maybe ? Ideas welcome/needed thanks.
I got a quote from the OEM and they wanted right around $800.00 for a new one.

BobbyT

Did your 803 have the "Fuse Mod" installed before the regulator failed?

The picture of your circuit board looks to be discolored in the area of the bridge rectifier circuit.
The bridge rectifier circuit in the A1 is prone to shorting out. If you had the fuse mod installed AND the regulator then failed then you should only need a new VR.
If your set didn't have the fuse mod installed when the regulator failed then the quad winding in the generator heads stator is likely damaged. Not good.

The listing for the $99 VR mentioned above has been on the big auction site for about a month. Hopefully you can snap it up!

If you get a replacement I'd be happy to attempt to repair and test your bad one for you. PM me if interested.
If you get the old one to Kurt, i bet he can whip us up a new one in 30-45 minutes that's super bulletproof :LOL:(y)
He's a master at that fun stuff.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor

No time like the present, I never waded in and understood this Quad winding scheme on these sets, what am i missing and what is the field winding that we cant fold in a old time or new model Basler regulator and just move away from the damn TRC anything. I have ranted before about sole source Ray and TRC Ray i suspect is long away, and not the issues here. Quad winding can some of you open this to me and offer some insight please.
Thanks in advance mac/mc

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually realized poking around in the garage yesterday that I have one of these! I had an 802 go down a year or two ago (electrical fire caused a runaway condition). I kept a few items out of the set, and sold it off for nonelectrical parts. This item may very well still work, I have never bench tested it.

I'm not looking to volunteer Kurt for anything, but I would consider letting him have his fun with it should he desire, for the good of the community.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know but I have not done the mod maybe the prior owner(s) ? Is there a way to determine if if the modification is present ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howdy,
Star at this thread. The 2nd post has quick links to the things you seek.

bontonjeff

Howdy,
Star at this thread. The 2nd post has quick links to the things you seek.
Daybreak thank you very much. Wow, that link took me to a page with more links and everything you could ever want to know about these things was compiled in that directory thank you very much.

Is there a topic or subheading that would be good to post I want to head for a partner here in Florida? My Facebook business page is here if anyone wants to check it out and I’m interested in a partnership or some kind of working relationship with a technician. I am currently in St. Petersburg but would relocate to another part of the state for the right relationship. I live in my class a diesel RV and I have no ties to the area or children or anything to stop me from relocating. this is a good area for hurricane standby generators or else I would be willing to relocate anywhere else in the country but need to be here in order to do the sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewie38

I'm here Guy but I don't post much cause you guys have this.
Lots of good info here thanks to guys like you Diesel, Light and Daybreak.
I'll chime in if there is info like the regulator alternate part that you might not know of because not everyone has the assembly drawings like I do.
I have every drawing for every part of every TQG set. Didn't even remember till the other day that I had them.

Dewie38

I believe you are correct.
The point being there are alternatives to the TRC part that may be available and cheaper than TRC.
Thanks Kloppk old eyes ya know.

wildmann79

Have you seen the post on the sx460 stamford genset avr? They are $25 if you look in the Amazon Jungle, and free shipping for premium members. I know at least one member on here has successfully used it. Also flight systems has a universal voltage regulator, that some members are using. I'm ordering the sx460 today for my MEP 803

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks