• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valence's M66 Gun Ring

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose this is a "life goal" of mine (shooting a vehicle mounted gun). More specifically, my gun, from my vehicle (I mean, I'd prefer it to be a tank but this truck is costly enough).

I've had my M35A2 for 5 years now and it used to have a gun ring installed when it was in service, but I don't know what kind of ring it was and the cab never had the reinforcement plate. But, I had kicked that can down the road as something I couldn't justify. Also, it wasn't the order I expected my "life goals" to occur in.

So much for expectations eh?

I encountered a deal I would beat myself up forever had I not went after. Fast forward to today in which arrived a rather complete M66 Gun Ring! :D :D :D :D
  • Non-cut Ring with hand brake, pintle mount
  • Legs (2 rear, 1 longer passenger side)
  • Adapter plate for rear leg
  • M23 cradle
  • Backrest (with padding and cover ta-boot!)
  • Ammo Belt feed box
  • Spare ammo can box
  • Ammo box mounting plate and bracket
  • (Cab reinforcement plate already sitting in my garage)

The gun ring and all parts need restoring but I think it is in FINE condition! Much thanks to the seller (you know who you are)! I would appreciate all your help in evaluating the list of items I believe I still need for it:
  1. Bolts to mount legs/brackets to ring (obviously)
  2. U-bolts x 4 for rear cab legs.
  3. What does the passenger side leg need? It has a series of holes that appear a pin would go through (much like a tow bar) to rest on the top of the passenger clamp bracket.
  4. Straps for spare ammo can
  5. Casing catch bag
  6. Belt links catch bag
  7. Barrel cover
  8. ???

I will be using this thread as my slow moving restoration and installation, which will also include restoring the cab, hard top, installing the reinforcement plate, and restoring/installing the gun ring itself.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yeah, 350 pounds of steel two feet above the cab... I've been told it actually makes the cab move around perceptibly on the frame as you drive down the road, and also that they all will eventually destroy the cab despite having a reinforcement plate, but I have no personal experience with it. Look forward to seeing your project progress.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, 350 pounds of steel two feet above the cab... I've been told it actually makes the cab move around perceptibly on the frame as you drive down the road, and also that they all will eventually destroy the cab despite having a reinforcement plate, but I have no personal experience with it. Look forward to seeing your project progress.
I've read the same, except it wasn't clear if all had the reinforcement plate. I have plenty of evidence that my truck had a ring before, but unknown if it was the lighter ring (~150-200 lbs vs 350 lbs) MK49 from WWII or how much it was used. The single ammo belt link that I found in my truck's cab suggest the gun was .30 caliber. I will guess an M1919 (what I would like to go with).

I will be mounting my ring a bit closer to the cab as my requirement is to still fit inside my 10' garage door WITH the ring (the cradle will have to be removed no matter what).

zout

Going to need some big boys to mount it up.

Casing catch bag..rounds get deflected into that if they make it.
Barrel cover.

Does your ring have the the muzzle cradle on it?

Looks like you have some fun ahead of you. Keep your miunting pictures coming.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to need some big boys to mount it up.

Casing catch bag..rounds get deflected into that if they make it.
Barrel cover.

Does your ring have the the muzzle cradle on it?

Looks like you have some fun ahead of you. Keep your mounting pictures coming.
Adding those to the list! And before the M816 wrecker leaves my driveway to its new owner, a requirement is that I have a little bit of certain help mounting the ring ;)

I do not believe that I know what a muzzle cradle is or looks like. I'm assuming it's where you turn and rest/store the end of the gun during transportation when the gun is not being manned?

gunboy1656

Just cause you found a belt of 30 cal ammo does not necessarily mean it had a ring.

The 240B fires a 30 cal round and can be fired from the door or even front window.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a hole through his hard top where the ring was, along with other hardware
Yes, red is correct.

I've read the same, except it wasn't clear if all had the reinforcement plate. I have plenty of evidence that my truck had a ring before, but unknown if it was the lighter ring (~150-200 lbs vs 350 lbs) MK49 from WWII or how much it was used. The single ammo belt link that I found in my truck's cab suggest the gun was .30 caliber. I will guess an M1919 (what I would like to go with).

2015-05-17 16.46.59.jpg

I've added the cover support bracket.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?139879-Cab-gun-ring-vinyl-cover-quot-tented-quot

Also, part of that evidence I mentioned (besides the hole cut through the hard top) was the hard top is dented from some soldier's butt sitting on top of it, with the paint worn on the passenger dash with bent data plate edges from said soldier resting their booted feet, and there was mud on the diamond plate back of the fold down passenger seat.

I also found 2 nuts lost in the cab insulation behind the driver's seat that I'm positive went to the u-bolts when the ring legs were removed but whoever was doing the demilling did not bother to go fishing for them.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Browsing around here:
http://www.bmgparts.com/mount.html

It appears that my ring and cradle is a full .50 caliber set up. The ring for the obvious .50 on the data-plate, and two, because the above website lists the M23 cradle that came with my ring as for the same. For live fire I want the M1919 (.308 caliber) due to recoil and price. The M2HB .50 caliber would look awesome in dummy form but I don't know about the cost for display only. Regardless though, a dummy one is safer for parade/car shows (and makes the organizers and me feel better at such events).

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping to get rolling on this install as the weather warms. I'd like to take the hard top off and gently sand blast the inside, weld some of the weak/cut supports, paint and then re-insulate. However, I'm having trouble finding the two big rubber weather stripping gasket that goes between the hard top and cab, and then the two pieces of the hard top itself.

Poorly indicated here (see the red arrows) in this borrowed picture:
hard_top.jpg

The best that I can find is this cab insulation kit from Erik's, but it doesn't seem to cover these two pieces.
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/m3setrcabwes.html

According to this discussion there also a seal where the leading edge of the top sits on the windshields (so a total of three seals):
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?129109-Hard-Top-Gaskets-Seals-for-Restoration-Project

FYI: HanksDeuce ends that thread with suggesting using 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant #8300 and a link to his build thread. :goodjob:

Last edited:

rustystud

I'm hoping to get rolling on this install as the weather warms. I'd like to take the hard top off and gently sand blast the inside, weld some of the weak/cut supports, paint and then re-insulate. However, I'm having trouble finding the two big rubber weather stripping gasket that goes between the hard top and cab, and then the two pieces of the hard top itself.

Poorly indicated here (see the red arrows) in this borrowed picture:
View attachment 607044

The best that I can find is this cab insulation kit from Erik's, but it doesn't seem to cover these two pieces.
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/m3setrcabwes.html

According to this discussion there also a seal where the leading edge of the top sits on the windshields (so a total of three seals):
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?129109-Hard-Top-Gaskets-Seals-for-Restoration-Project

FYI: HanksDeuce ends that thread with suggesting using 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant #8300 and a link to his build thread. :goodjob:
I ended up using the 3M stuff. Just never plan on taking the top off ever again ! My roof is on till Judgment Day !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a logical secondary follow-up question to this Gun Ring thread....

... not trying to turn this into a "gun discussion" so.....

I'm just wondering if you get a gun ring to mount on your MV, how readily available are the 50 Cal Gun Mounts?? What kind of price would you expect to pay? And are "Dummy Guns" available for EXHIBITION USE ONLY??

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a logical secondary follow-up question to this Gun Ring thread....

... not trying to turn this into a "gun discussion" so.....

I'm just wondering if you get a gun ring to mount on your MV, how readily available are the 50 Cal Gun Mounts?? What kind of price would you expect to pay? And are "Dummy Guns" available for EXHIBITION USE ONLY??
Well, do you mean the whole ring/leg assembly or just the M23 cradle that the gun sits in? In the end, I suppose either answer is about the same, appears to be fairly uncommon and it is reflected in the price they generally command since they're typically removed from trucks when sold to the general public (just like my M35A2 had its gun ring removed). I'm no expert but I'm on the cusp of trying to be, and all my "observations" are purely subjective and from my point of view. However, I've been watching the M66 gun rings come up for sale for 2-3 years.

I'm sure many folks are interested in the "cool" factor and historical authenticity (myself included on both points) but then many others are dissuaded by not only the price but the practicality of putting that money elsewhere, not to mention the additional weight added toward the front of the truck and increasing the height of the center of gravity and potential damage to the cab.

Back to my history of watching them for sale, a moving gun ring with legs seem to have run a minimum of $2,000. They generally do not include extra ammo can holders, back rests, and often a certain leg to ring adapter plate is missing. There are a number of threads on SteelSoldiers of folks asking for measurements so they can fabricate their own mounting plates. Even at these prices, sometimes they'll have a mismatched set of legs.

Gun parts, mounts, and etc are readily available, but come at quite a price tag too. This website gives a good reference for more of the "full price" tag (like buying MV parts at Boyce Equipment or Eastern Surplus):
http://www.bmgparts.com/

Replica "dummy guns" are unquestionably the way to go for exhibition/parade use. I'm sure many shows would forbid entry otherwise. The above link also has dummy guns for sale, but no listed price for the .50, M2HB.

The following website lists a few options available for dummy guns:
http://replicaguns.com/m2hb-info-page.html

Depending on the quality of reproduction material they can be fragile replicas for $250 or other metal construction for about $1200-$1800. I glanced on eBay and there are some "props" there for ~$600.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks