• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle lift and tires

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you guys share what you've done with your trucks as far as lifting it and or tires. ( pictures please) . I have the 84 dually, and I'm thinking about a 5-6 lift
I like the price of humvee tires and rims, yet not sure if they will fit and not sure what to do for the rear.. I will not change the gears ( I wish it had 3:42- 3:73 's ) , so in order to lower the rpm - I'll get taller tires. any info would be appreciated

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you guys share what you've done with your trucks as far as lifting it and or tires. ( pictures please) . I have the 84 dually, and I'm thinking about a 5-6 lift
I like the price of humvee tires and rims, yet not sure if they will fit and not sure what to do for the rear.. I will not change the gears ( I wish it had 3:42- 3:73 's ) , so in order to lower the rpm - I'll get taller tires. any info would be appreciated
You will find more information on this subject matter in here: Hot Rodding and Modification

Skinny

From my experience...

Humvee tires look great but suck in every other way. I wouldn't invest again in 16.5 sizing becasue you are limited now to that or some cheapo squiggle mud tires.

5-6" of lift will really need some driveshaft mods as 4" is about as high as you can go before angles and lengths limit you. If you plan on keeping the stock steering it will make it go from bad to worse even just street driving. You'll know what I'm talking about when you do a hard stop and it steers into the ditch.

What are your plans with this truck? Regearing to me doesnt make sense but maybe fits you. To me keeping the 4.56's makes mpre sense. I think you can do an overdrive for equal money and be better in every way then regearing to keep a less then desirable TH400.

I did the Goodyear MT route when I first bought the truck. It made the gearing tolerable and would get you to 65mph. In hindsight I should have just committed to the 4L80 earlier then have large square dry rotted tires.

Quad shocks...you should be banned
The forum is a bit on the sensitive side. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FB_IMG_1577826961522.jpg

I'm running HMMWV tires on my M1028. I have no problem keeping her strait during hard breaking or maneuvering for that matter. 4 inch lift up front with just over 4 in the rear. I've had 2 right front blowouts at 50 and 60 mph. Both were uneventful... just moved over, slowed down and pulled off the road. Damn dry rot on these used tires. Both times the tire caught some sheet metal.

I'm in the midst of restoring/rebuilding my 7th Marines M1008. Once I finish it I will rebuild this truck too. I'll go with 6 inches of lift and 6.5 turbo with s 4L80E.

Good luck.

20190114_120329.jpg

Skinny

You can't beat the look of those tires!

You may think there are no weird steering responses until you go crossover and realize it is all F'd up.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't beat the look of those tires!

You may think there are no weird steering responses until you go crossover and realize it is all F'd up.

I am absolutely on board with crossover steering conversion... I just haven't done it yet.

My ONLY steering difficulties are low speed turning with the brakes engaged (turning a street corner) and part of that is my left front tire rubs the tierod while turning hard right.

Skinny

Right now my truck is starting to go hard when doing low speed parking lot stuff. Hard like grab the wheel with both hands and use your body weight. Then 10 minutes later works fine. No idea but its all getting replaced. I'm swapping in a 4L80 which needs a driveshaft refit. So last night I redrilled the perches and moved the axle forward 1.25" and crossover from ORD should be on its way any day now.

My Suburban has the same setup. The clearance on the back of the fender is better. The tire sits centered in the wheel well. The crossover is one finger no matter what. Response and input are greatly improved. Should have done it years ago.

I had the 37's on what I think were old Ford steelies. 16.5 rims that were like 10" wide with a nice offset. IMO looked amazing! I had to cut the back of the fender and they would rub when fully flexed. I think they would have been much better with the axle moved forward with crossover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks