• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 Install

Varyag

Well, finally installed the VIC-1 system I ordered.

I used a mt1029 radio mount under the passenger bench for power, and then the standard AM1780 amp with 2 crew stations. I plan on adding 2 more to the system once I get the parts.

It worked out pretty well. My deuce is a soft top so I didn't have the option to mount them to the back of the cab top like I would have wanted to. I thought about the soft top support but i couldn't think of a way to secure them well enough to have them not fall on my wife's head like my CB did in my FJ40.

I ended up bolting the amp to the cab kind of between the spring seat and the bench and then the crew stations on the ledge on each shoulder of the cab. It worked out really nice and put the cables where I think would be really convenient.

I have 2 CVCs but I am having a heck of a time locating the lower spaghetti cord that go from 2 connections at the crew box to the 1 connection to the CVC's upper cable. If you guys know of anyone who sells these, please lemme know.

Pics are kind of crappy but it was dark when I was done. Yeah, I know I need a washer on the 1780, but I ran out. Will finish that tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

treessw

Varyag- Man congrats!!!! Now it makes me want to do it with one of mine!!! I have been looking at this set up for some time and now do I have an itch!!!! Looks great and gives good ideas!

wsucougarx

Looks good Matt, I've held off on doing the '68 b/c it too is a soft top. I couldn't figure out where to mount everything. Good idea of mounting it behind the bench

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice install! Now get the MX-7777 to add some protection.

Image below from the December 2004 MVM article (couldn't locate the original), but all fits behind the companion seat and headsets were hung from above and behind to be out of the way when not used.

Attachments

Varyag

I thought about putting the amp there, but I could not get to it easily. It can't be on when you start up the truck and the bench doesn't fold down easy with a baby seat installed.

BTW, could someone move this to the deuce mod area? I dun goofed.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Highly suggest getting a MX7777 surge supressor to prevent your system getting fried.

If you get a long enough cable, I also suggest putting a crew box toward the rear of the truck. That way you can dismount a ground guide or keep them mounted in the bed and they can give you verbal guidance for backing up.

Armada

Nice install! If you install an MX-7777 in a convenient location you can control the power on/off to the vic-1 with it.
PM Popacom or Tbanks for the cables.
Here are some pics of other mounting locations but this is without the bench seat. May give some ideas though.

Attachments

Varyag

I have actually been thinking about installing a switch in the dash for it. My dad was looking at the diagram of the 7777 and said he could make them pretty easy. I am waiting on how that turns out before I go out and get one.

Varyag

I have that cable end. It appears that the only difference is that the center pin is male rather than female.

Difference in the cable that goes to the radio mount. That is where I have power routed through.

Billy Bobbed

Installing my VIC-1 and was wondering can you use the 2 plug ins on the left side and the one on the right bottom side.J511,J509 and J503 for the intercom boxes,because I dont see them hooked up on the instructions.I want to hook my boxes to the J504 and the J503.

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing my VIC-1 and was wondering can you use the 2 plug ins on the left side and the one on the right bottom side.J511,J509 and J503 for the intercom boxes,because I dont see them hooked up on the instructions.I want to hook my boxes to the J504 and the J503.
J505, J506 and J507 are identical, the other connectors have additional functions, but should work for your "crewmember" boxes.
Check out the wiring diagrams in TM 11-5830-340-30.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks