• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam Gun Truck Names

historyfanatics

Not wishing to step on anybody's toes here, but I have thinking about building another gun truck. This time, based on an M151. Basically, an armored gun jeep for convoy protection.

I haven't been able to find much information about the armored jeeps from Vietnam. Most of my searches have been for gun trucks, specifically quad trucks. So, if anybody has any leads or ideas, I'm willing to listen.

The idea is to build a replica of a real vehicle. Following the premise of "reserving" a name, what anames are available?

Thanks,

WarrenD

What little info that I've seen on the M151 GTs is in James Lyles book Hard Ride Vol 2. I know that Wolfman has been done (I've seen the replica and it's very nice!) Vol 2 has a few pics and if you go to the listing in the back, he has all the known trucks listed by name. There isn't a cross reference, so you'll have to go thru them all and look for the M151's.

Many of the jeeps were named after trucks in thier company. I have no details on them but I remember seeing 359th's "Lil Brutus" and 541st's "Duece's Baby Son", from Dueces Wild. I'm sure someone on the Guntrucks site could help out. 64th had "Lil Hearse" named after Ho Chi's Hearse. I have contact info with Bill Reese, driver of the Lil Hearse if you would like it. Best I can remember the armor and name didn't last long because he rolled it and didn't put the armor back on.

Driver523

Been going through the albums I have and it looks like most the gun jeeps didn't have names or graphics on them---still got more to go but here's a few---I added some without names and a few with no armor------Driver

Attachments

Thanks Driver, that first pic was taken after the rollover. As you can see, all that's left is the armored windshield. I didn't even remember the name being painted on the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks