• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Was) on the road, no lights HET

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help I'm recovering a het for a guy and there's no lights Other than brake lights . They worked when we left now nothing all the circuit breakers are fine power going to them and out any suggestions?

MAdams

Pop off the cover for the center console and you'll find a bunch of solenoids. They looks like a starter solenoids from a Ford. Check for 24v on both sides of the large terminal

MAdams

Check for voltage at the bulbs. The HET uses 24 and 12v

Check all the blackout switches. They can be confusing and they are not like the 3 level switches common on MV's

Check all the circuit breakers

Check the main headlight switch to see if it has power

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All blackout switches are off
Headlights actually come on veeeeery dim.
Front turn lights, rear tail, and dash indicators come on when you step on brakes

I ran a wire from the slave port to the left headlight wire and marker light wire, lit up everything so I could get it home.

Tried jumping headlight switch no go. My meter drove off so I'll have to test tomorrow. No rush now since it is home.

Thanks for the tips, and I will delve into the TMs tomorrow as well.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All blackout switches are off
Headlights actually come on veeeeery dim.
Front turn lights, rear tail, and dash indicators come on when you step on brakes

I ran a wire from the slave port to the left headlight wire and marker light wire, lit up everything so I could get it home.

Tried jumping headlight switch no go. My meter drove off so I'll have to test tomorrow. No rush now since it is home.

Thanks for the tips, and I will delve into the TMs tomorrow as well.
Glad you got her home...
I LIKE that truck!!

It would look really nice with a nice 4 or 5 axle trailer and a locomotive sitting on it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got her home...
I LIKE that truck!!

It would look really nice with a nice 4 or 5 axle trailer and a locomotive sitting on it.
I agree! There was a member here out west that had a m920 he heavily modified, and actually did haul narrow gauge locomotives with it! Think his user name was Soni or Sonni.

These things are squirrelly! Had to take off and adjust rear drag link, when they put on a new one, they didn't adjust it so the rear wheels were turned while driving straight.

I doubled the mileage on it bringing it home from Bragg. 2013 truck. As a taxpayer, really pisses me off. As a guy who buys and uses this stuff, its a gold mine. He got 4 of them, was only supposed to get 3, so needed an emergency driver and a place to stash one.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree! There was a member here out west that had a m920 he heavily modified, and actually did haul narrow gauge locomotives with it! Think his user name was Soni or Sonni.

These things are squirrelly! Had to take off and adjust rear drag link, when they put on a new one, they didn't adjust it so the rear wheels were turned while driving straight.

I doubled the mileage on it bringing it home from Bragg. 2013 truck. As a taxpayer, really pisses me off. As a guy who buys and uses this stuff, its a gold mine. He got 4 of them, was only supposed to get 3, so needed an emergency driver and a place to stash one.
I can't imagine how cool it must have been to see all four of them pull in at the same time. WOW!
That would be a nice machine to have. Why? Because!
I need one about like having another hole in my head, but if the opportunity came along...

---

Yeah, it does grind your gears when you see that kind of waste.
Only good part is that somebody we know got one...

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks factory-new...! Interesting, you said 2013? I can only imagine that that is a rebuild date, since it is my understanding that they already had the A1 version, by that time.

View attachment 845233
Might have been, didn't go over it that well for the tags, happened to see one with that date on it.

Thanks to whomever changed the title! 👍

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That dude has mucho denario.
Don't know the real details but I saw in another forum something about single digit percentage of the $256k of the new price. Can't imagine that GP was willing for forgo their percentage.

All just rumor though.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know the real details but I saw in another forum something about single digit percentage of the $256k of the new price. Can't imagine that GP was willing for forgo their percentage.

All just rumor though.
They didn't go to GP- whenever something is turned in, it goes through a process, offered to other DOD, then other feds, states, etc finally there is a period things can be pulled by states for non profits etc. This is how he got them. Runs a huge at risk youth camp. The kids love the military trucks and going for rides, learning how they work, etc.

I got involved years ago and provide technical advice and help him find parts, TMs, etc.

He holds onto and uses the trucks for a few years, then sells them. Helps fund the camp, and allows him to get newer/different trucks.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They didn't go to GP- whenever something is turned in, it goes through a process, offered to other DOD, then other feds, states, etc finally there is a period things can be pulled by states for non profits etc. This is how he got them. Runs a huge at risk youth camp. The kids love the military trucks and going for rides, learning how they work, etc.

I got involved years ago and provide technical advice and help him find parts, TMs, etc.

He holds onto and uses the trucks for a few years, then sells them. Helps fund the camp, and allows him to get newer/different trucks.
Wow! That would be a sweet opportunity to volunteer!
Exceptionally good that GP wasn't involved at all...

FullSpecial

I have room in my back yard. WILL NOT promise I won't drive it..............

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks