• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste Oil Prices

Amxhunter

Stopped in at my local oil change place and talked to the owner.

Seems that a lot of waste oil companies are popping up and paying "good" money for the stuff.

I asked how much and he said they were paying $0.95/gallon. OUCH !

So much for that source.

Amxhunter

What I'm curious about is what are these bulk buyers doing with the oil ?

Speculations aside, I would not want to hear it's being sold back to the oil companies, unless there is some other use in lieu of it being re-refined and put back on the shelf.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, thats what I have heard, selling it back to be re-refined. I do know they also use it in ocean ships. It is called "heavy fuel".

gimpyrobb said:
Yup, thats what I have heard, selling it back to be re-refined. I do know they also use it in ocean ships. It is called "heavy fuel".
seen something on that a couple weeks ago that they are taking the WMO and hauling it back and re-refining (sp) it and using it again. they said it can actually be refined up to 2 times on some oils :?

54reo

$0.75 per gallon is the current rate here. I was told to beat that price to be able to pick some up.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Free for the taking here. Course, I'm working word of mouth, and dealing with small users, not going to the mechanics shops, JiffyPube, et al.

SouthTexasDiesel

I'm getting it free down here. A buddy of mine owns a truck fleet at the windmill farms they're building. Right now I've got over 200 gallons waiting for me. From what I've heard most of the places down here have to pay to have it hauled off, so they are happy when you can take it for free.

THEROAD

I just got a price on heating oil #2 diesel at $2.85 preminum boat diesel at $2.99 a gallon. For that price I would stick with the good clean oil instead of used motor oil. You don't really know what other crap was dumped in that tank do you. Additionally used motor is full of carbon and other crap. The motor oil filters are 25 microns. I would not care to save a couple of bucks at the expense of the motor. Diesel will be $2.50 a gallon before you know it. Crude is expected to go below 50 bucks a barrel.
Just my 2 cents

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the M35 standard fuel filters down to 10 microns. If you pre-filter the used motor oil in bag filters down to 5 micron or less, the tiny little carbon pieces that get through the filters won't do anything to the deuce engine. Might increase the soot coming out the exhaust stack a bit, but not that much.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have a 55 gallon drum I was looking to get rid of, I found a guy that will pay $20 for it and bring me another empty barrel. He was using it in his oil burner to heat his shop this winter. If I was smart I'd get me one of them!

Alredneck

Banned
1.00 a gal or less aint bad. Here in Memphis area you got to pay to get some, they use it for refining and also sale it to various companys as a fuel source also the elctric company uses it for fuel in power generation.

THEROAD

Last time crude was 75 dollars a barrel gasoline was around $2.00 a gallon we have a long to go. Diesel will never drop to $75 dollars a barrel prices as before because of the ultra low sulfur requirements. I still would not want to dump questionable wmo in my M35A2. Looks like OPEC is going to try their bet to keep crude prices up buy cutting supply.

Somemedic

Get in close with ur local A-zone/Advance auto. Know their first names if you dont already. If they do you a favor buy the crew a Lil ceasars pizza. Then one day go see the coolest store manager and ask him if you can have a few gallons of the oil they collect for free. Its no skin off their nose to let you have it. Morning is the best time to go since thats when old guys usually drop the stuff off. My AZ keeps the stuffby the dumpster for me when I drop by (about a week apart).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks