• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Watch your hight!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's a REALLY good tip for those coming to the GA Rally Tigger...and thanks for reminding me.

Last year we had the M109 Camper on the Landoll and if the top tie downs on the box had ONE more coat of paint it would not have cleared that last overpass we went under about 3 miles from the Rally Site!!
I had ta take some pills when we got through it!!:beer:

Attachments

91W350

I had a NAPCO converted 58 Chevy with a spotlight mounted center of the roof on the front edge, tallest point on the truck. I smacked it on a low hanging tree branch and thought the cab was being ripped off, damage was minimal, but sure did not sound that way. Thanks for the friendly reminder. Glen

flyxpl

Pulled into a car wash with my A3 slowly until I got close to the cab roof , stopped and stepped out the door to see a had an inch or two. Got back in the truck and proceeded to creep in . I did not got very far and heard a noise and imeditetly backed up a few inches and took another look . I forgot about the exhaust stack . Did no damage to the carwash , but pulled the top portion of the stack out of the clamp that holds it on . Loosened the clamp and reasembled and I was good to go . OOPS !

bones1

Last Sunday morning after the Hurricaine in Leonardtown Maryland on rt 5 for about a 6 mile stretch I had the Deuce loaded with chainsaws,generators and supplies etc heading down to the river to remove what was left of my pier and lower level of the beach house. The clearance between the power lines crossing the highway and the roof of the deuce was inches. A few times soldier B had to get out and guide the truck through.This happened many times along the way. The power was out on the lines..............I THINK.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Years ago when CBs were in, I had a 56 chevy pu on 1 1/2 ton springs, a frame mounted roll bar that had my above cab lights as well as my lonnnnnnnnnnng stainless steel whip, I had a pull down cord on it for gas stations, ect., went to get gat gas one night, at about the time I remembered to pull down the whip, I heard POP, POP, POP, POP, POP as all the over head lights got broke out by the whip, what a mess, I just kept going, right out on to the street, went back later and paid for the bulbs.

Hal_VT

Back in the 1980's I cut a bunch of logs and got a local trucker to take them to a small mill to be sawed to build my house. The trucker was a French Canadian immigrant, whose English was adequate, but brief, and to the point. I rode with him to the mill, and as we went under a railroad underpass in the next town, he pointed up and said,"One time, too many log."

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Circa 1970: I witnessed a car hauler "convertible-ize" all the brand new Mercedes-Benz Sedans on his upper deck by going under a low railroad girder-bridge. He thought he'd found a short-cut through Harrison, NJ coming out of Port Newark with those fine German automobiles.

I was about 13 at the time and was VERY impressed that truckers DO NOT necessarily have brains.

aua..........................:doh:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder for ya all to watch your height. A few of our trucks wont fit where your car will go!
Wonder why it took him so long to figure out he was taking the whole ball-o-wax with him??:-?:roll:

Pulled into a car wash with my A3 slowly until I got close to the cab roof , stopped and stepped out the door to see a had an inch or two. Got back in the truck and proceeded to creep in . I did not got very far and heard a noise and imeditetly backed up a few inches and took another look . I forgot about the exhaust stack . Did no damage to the carwash , but pulled the top portion of the stack out of the clamp that holds it on . Loosened the clamp and reasembled and I was good to go . OOPS !
I have to watch my exhaust stack also. Ever since I straight stacked it, it has a tendency to trim low hanging trees. It is about 18" taller than the windshield.

When I took the Commercial Driver License road test the inspector asked what bridge clearance signs say...after you pass them. He dinged me because I did not remember the inches:oops:.

Flyingvan911

I don't think the inspector asked me about bridge height when I took my CDL test. My friend Allan knocked the top half of his stack off during our little Oklahoma rally. It was easy to put back on. We need chainsaw brackets on our stacks to eliminate that problem.

SMOKEWAGON66

Just a reminder for ya all to watch your height. A few of our trucks wont fit where your car will go!

Seriously...why am i not suprized to see a Wal-Mart sign in this picture? LMAO!

When i was in Germany assinged to the Great 28th Trans, we had a mail run that went to Grafenwoehr (we just called it Graf) and there were 2 routes that took you thee from the Autobahn. One of them you could take with a conex on an M-872 and one you could not...because of a low bridge. Well, apparently that bridge has been hit by so many army trucks, that the townspeople joke that the US Army owns the bridge because theyve had to pay to have it repaired so many times and is know through out the area as simply "army bridge"

...yah just take a left at Army Bridge... lol.

Also knew a buddy of mine made a wrong turn going somewhere (cant remember the town) in Germany and then had to back his M915a3/M872 w/40' Conex three miles of curvy road because it wouldnt fit into the tunnel....i laughed at him for a good 10 minutes and almost spilled my Pepsi.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dumbasses shouldn't drive big things. Period.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiI7GyrHuw[/media]
Hey Dawg:
I always marvel at that video each time it resurfaces.

I'm reminded of the saying:
"OK, EVERYBOD OUT OF THE GENE POOL !"

I still wonder if the pickup driver suffered injury when his cab got crushed.

Thanks for reviving that one.

rorybellows

^how?^

a few years ago, a wind tunnel, uh, tower i guess was east bound on 90m going thru easton and, well going with the theme of this thread, ran into the overpass. i think he got stuck too. someone wasnt doing their job, as they have a "spotter" vehicle in front of them with the big antenna type deal for clearance. too a pretty nice chunk out of the bridge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks