• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Scrubber?

insanejecke

OK well today i got a sweet phone call there's a dude going to give me 2 free totes that are almost full of Oil 1 is WMO and other soy bean oil bad thing he said there's water max with them ( left the cap off after 3 week of rain i'm sure its alot). like my luck cant have cake and eat it as well i got to wait it out :neutral:

So is there a water scrubber like pump ( that does not cost a arm and leg) that i can pump out of the totes into my clean water free 1s? or i'm i going to haft to slowly cook all the water out?

or has some 1 made a homemade 1 that works well and there willing to share there blueprints?:-D

p.s. i searched and dean fine anything helpful

Last edited:

'48Chevy6

Gravity. Does the tote(s) have valve at bottom? Most do. You should be able to see the water layer at the bottom of the tote if there is that much water.

Tap the valve slowly and collect the non oil junk that comes out. Dispose of it properly and process oil as normal.

insanejecke

yes they do but there the cheaper kind of totes and the 4 corners are lower then the valve. I know 1s it has settled i can pump the top layer out but about a few inches from the bottom will still be mixed. that's why i would like to pump it all out.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not take this the wrong way but we do have standards on this site in order to make it more usable for other members.

Will you please use capitalization so that everyone can read your posts. What is 1s? Ones? Once? Just what is it? Someone is someone and not some 1. When you search and dean find anything did Dean help any or did you do it all by yourself?

To answer your question, let it settle for a few weeks and then pump what you want to use out from a few (maybe 6) inches from the bottom of your settling tank then further filter it by pumping it through a water filter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up here, I can let it settle before winter, then once the water is settled and frozen, it's good to go!

Drain the ice in the spring/summer, as water.

goldneagle

Do not take this the wrong way but we do have standards on this site in order to make it more usable for other members.

Will you please use capitalization so that everyone can read your posts. What is 1s? Ones? Once? Just what is it? Someone is someone and not some 1. When you search and dean find anything did Dean help any or did you do it all by yourself?

To answer your question, let it settle for a few weeks and then pump what you want to use out from a few (maybe 6) inches from the bottom of your settling tank then further filter it by pumping it through a water filter.
I think you mean a fuel/water separation filter.

Heath_h49008

If this is going to be a regular thing, just build a solar still. You could even run a solar pump to circulate the WMO/WVO through the system. the only difference between it and any solar water still is, the water you produce is your "waste" and the "Waste" is your de-watered "product."

So you need a box, some glass, some piping/hosing, a pump filters and at least two tanks...

The percentage that falls out will not be 100% water free, but it will leave the still at a high enough temp to settle easily in the collection tank. Build it and forget it. Filter on the suction side or gravity feed through the filters, and use the solar pump to feed the still so it only runs when there is enough sunlight to heat the fluid. Simple and cheap... maybe not the fastest way... maybe not pretty considering the space required... but it will work to de-water and aside from building it not cost a dime to run.

Beyond Biodiesel

I use three methods for extracting water from my waste oil.
1) Settling. If you are not going to use all that oil right away, then settling is cheap.
2) I find blending gasoline with my waste oils causes the water to precipitate out within hours to one day of settling.
3) I use two 2-inch y-traps in my processing setup. A y-trap is designed to capture dense components in a fluid stream, such as sand, nuts and bolts, and water.

Here is a link to http://beyondbiodiesel.org/forum/index.php?topic=63.0 and how I use them.
y-trap1_001.jpg
You could also use a cyclone separator, if you find one in a junk yard for cheap. They work great, I have used them for years.
cycloneseparator12-1.jpg
The cool thing about a cyclone separator is, if you have it properly sized for your pumping operation, then you can move fluid through it at high velocity, and the cyclone separator will extract dense particles out of that fluid stream very efficiently; however, it will not be perfect, but it will get most of it out, as long as the reservoir in the cyclone separator is not filled with the dense particles you want to remove.

If you want to you could run your contaminated fluid stream through a cyclone separator several times, cleaning out the cyclone separator each time, to improve the purity of your fluid stream.

Last edited:

rolling18

Thank YOU!!
I wish a **** of allot MORE people would adhere to these standards.. there are so so many people you would swear never went to school...At All!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks