• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-53 Differential Questions

COX

Do the "early" and "late" WC-53 trucks have the same axles accept for the differential?

I need to get a front differrential and both axle shafts for the front. Before I buy the parts, I was wondering if the axle shafts are different or just the differntial. My WC has the early 8 3/4" ring gear in the rear and I have found a complete matching 8 3/4" differential for the front. I have also found a good deal on both axle shafts but they are for the later 9 5/8" ring gear differential.

Does anyone know if the shafts are the same, or are the early/late specific?

Any help is appreciated fromthis newbie.

COX

There just doesn't seem to be real clear answers on their site/literature. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

m376x6

No, but not a major obstacle. The 8 3/4" diffs were 2 pinion, while the 9 5/8 were 4 pinion diffs. The diameter of the shafts are the same at 1 3/8 10 spline. The actual shaft is 1 1/4 inch between flange and splines. The difference in 8 3/4 and 9 5/8 shafts is the length. The 8 3/4 is 36 17/64 while the 9 5/8 is 36 15/64. If you are using a 8 5/8 diff either shaft will work. If trying to use a 8 3/4 diff shaft in the 9 5/8 diff you will need to grind off 1/32 of an inch. Based on your description, the shafts you have found will work. That small difference in length won't be any disadvantage unless you start using high torque/horsepower engines. Check the housing to make sure there are no tags welded to it instructing you to use 2 carrier gaskets instead of one. Best of luck.

Regards,
M376X6

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks