• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weeklong PM effort was successful.. ish

MudMarine

So a year ago my dad and I went in on buying a Deuce together, something we had wanted to do for more than a decade. We shopped around and found a decent AirForce model. We didn't have a very big time window to pick it up. (I'm in the military and he is a corporate pilot) but our schedules matched up for about a 4 day period where we traveled probably close to a 1,000 miles to look at 4 trucks, buy one, and drive it to his hangar in GA. This AF truck was in the best shape but had a brake leak from what we now know is a vent tube. For some reason we got lucky in that if you capped it off completely, the truck built brake pressure fine and stopped strong... Dumb luck on our part because it made the 3 hour trip to it new home where it sat for a year.

Fast forward to now. I'm looking at orders this summer to move again but I was really hoping to drive it daily some at my house and on base, because why not?? My 4yr old loves it and my wife thinks it's pretty cool. Winning all around there.

So I meet up with my dad this week to get all the work done we thought we needed to do to make it road worthy. Log story short, this truck kicked our asses, we learned a lot about it, and we didn't compromise on our safety "go; no-go" criteria. Now that we're out of time to finish all our tasks, I thought I'd lay out some questions for y'alls advice and opinions to see if we're on the right track or not.

Brake fluid:
Pretty sure the previous owners poured some amount of Dot 3 in the system which we know is not good. After purging the system should the fluid be perfectly purple or is a deep red ok? Pictures coming soon!

Wheel bearings:
- On the back in-board bearings, we saw some discoloration on the race, assuming these bearings are trash now?
- Do y'all ONLY run Timken or has anybody had good/bad luck with National BCA?
- After installing new or reusing good old bearings, how freely should the bearing race spin on the spindle? At first I was thinking there should be zero movement period, but as we thought about it, if there was zero movement, then you wouldn't be able to put these on by hand, so how much is ok?

Steering Knuckle:
How the hell do you get the steering arm off the knuckle on the driver's side?? We were going to replace both boots with good solid rubber ones but gave up on the driver's side because we could only get two of the 4 conical spacers out of the steering arm and could not get the arm off to pull the kingpin bushing. Any tips here?

Air tanks:
Anyone have problems with their tanks not sitting back into the cradles correctly? The aft part of my tanks are too far apart and won't sit perfectly in the morning cradle. I can stick a finger in between the bottom of the in-board tank and the bracket but the tank doesn't move at all.... Is this maybe the clocking of my air line fittings? IMG_20200307_191013892.jpgIMG_20200307_191013892.jpgIMG_20200309_215006621.jpgIMG_20200309_134932610.jpgIMG_20200309_111539686.jpgIMG_20200308_212344073.jpgIMG_20200308_214853506.jpgIMG_20200306_164918505.jpgIMG_20200306_164854963.jpg
Fun facts:
- When you repack your wheel bearings and check the wheel cylinder for signs of leakage, stick a pick under the rubber and pull it off the bottom of the wheel cylinder to check for fluid buildup/leaks. It's not like a car one in that if it leaks any amount it will be wet. We saw a tip for this on Tactical Repair's YouTube. If you're on this forum btw, thank you for your videos. But we had a case of exactly what he said, the wheel cylinder was BONE DRY on the outside, pulled that rubber aside and out came a bug glug of fluid.... Sad thing is that we didn't learn this until after to put the front axle back together and off jacks.... Gonna have to redo that work!!
- Once you've checked those and put the hubs (AVM manual hub upgrades) back on, remove the brake drum inspection cover and do a minor brake adjustment check! Again, part of the reason our wheels are coming back off.
- A harbor freight transmission jack works PERFECTLY as a rear hub jack!

I'm sure y'all probably know these things, but I wanted to put it out there just in case. These forums and the TM's were fairly helpful but they're no replacement for experience!!

All said and done we got a lot of work done but left plenty on the table...
- Repacked front bearings
- Repacked passenger rear and intermediate axle wheel bearings
- Greased trunion bearings
-Upgraded the AVM hubs
-Replaced front brake lines
-Replaced passenger side airpack to fix our leak. (AirForce dual system truck)
- Oil and filters
- Fuel filters
- Air filter
- Trans oil
- T-case oil
- all 3 diff oil
- one wheel cylinder (so far)
- Replaced leaking air tank (previous patch still holding though!)
- Installed side pull drain valves
- Replaced lower radiator hose
- Replaced batteries with new military ones
- aaannnd I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some more stuff while I sit here because I'm tired from working all day! I'll post up some pictures ASAP

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steering arm can be a b@stard to remove.
Here is a good thread. You need a bigger hammer.

MudMarine

The steering arm can be a b@stard to remove.
Here is a good thread. You need a bigger hammer.
Yeah we beat on the arm pretty good but we only used brass drifts, a rubber dead blow, or a small 5lb sledge with a piece of 2x4 to prevent damage to the arm. Thanks for that thread! I guess I missed it when searching here. I don't get cell reception where the truck is stored at so that discourages deep searching

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did mine I had beaten it with a small mallet quite unsuccessfully.

After reading the thread I thought "Ok, then!" and whacked it with a long handled sledge. One or two strikes was all it took to pop it off.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like someone had the air tanks out and changed them or didn't put them back in correctly. Are they the same size? They both should have a drain on the bottom. Looks like you have 2 drains on one.

I have mine out right now. They are both the same diameter and length and fit perfectly in there. There are loops like an "M" shape that go over the top of them to clamp down. Do you have those?

MudMarine

Looks like someone had the air tanks out and changed them or didn't put them back in correctly. Are they the same size? They both should have a drain on the bottom. Looks like you have 2 drains on one.

I have mine out right now. They are both the same diameter and length and fit perfectly in there. There are loops like an "M" shape that go over the top of them to clamp down. Do you have those?
Yeah I'm the one that dropped both tanks out. I was going to replace both because why not? The one with the single drain is the new one, but the old one also only had a single drain. We replaced it because ww had patched a pin hole to get it done when we bought it, but it was a real roadkill job with JB weld, 1/4" rubber, rtv, and clamps, but it got us home!

We bought two tanks but once we dropped them, we found out the outboard tank (right side of the picture) had more fittings in it than the leaking one. Our truck is a dual brake system so that may be why?

We marked the clocking of all fittings before removing them, but I could not get the tanks to sit correctly in the brackets. I'm pretty sure we accidentally swapped the lower brackets by accident (the aft one was in front) because I think that's where our temp fix was and the bracket has the clear sealant we used. Are they different?

Also yes, both the M shaped brackets are there and oriented so they sit level on the tanks. (Big cups on top opposite of big cups on bottom)

MudMarine

When I did mine I had beaten it with a small mallet quite unsuccessfully.

After reading the thread I thought "Ok, then!" and whacked it with a long handled sledge. One or two strikes was all it took to pop it off.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yeah we were probably too timid then! Did you disconnect it from the rest of the steering first? We gave up after not getting 2 of the 4 centering cones out of the steering arms too. Admittedly we were kinda rushing to meet a timeline too which encouraged us to save that job for later haha

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I'm the one that dropped both tanks out. I was going to replace both because why not? The one with the single drain is the new one, but the old one also only had a single drain. We replaced it because ww had patched a pin hole to get it done when we bought it, but it was a real roadkill job with JB weld, 1/4" rubber, rtv, and clamps, but it got us home!

We bought two tanks but once we dropped them, we found out the outboard tank (right side of the picture) had more fittings in it than the leaking one. Our truck is a dual brake system so that may be why?

We marked the clocking of all fittings before removing them, but I could not get the tanks to sit correctly in the brackets. I'm pretty sure we accidentally swapped the lower brackets by accident (the aft one was in front) because I think that's where our temp fix was and the bracket has the clear sealant we used. Are they different?

Also yes, both the M shaped brackets are there and oriented so they sit level on the tanks. (Big cups on top opposite of big cups on bottom)
Looks like the brackets are right. Mine are both the same. I see two drains in one tank and none in the other in the picture. Sounds like you have that figured out already though. Don't see how the piping would affect the mounting location that much.

runk

One of the tanks on the Air Force deuces is a dual chamber internally.
The manual that describes the split (dual circuit) brake system is -
SMARPI9-2320-209-14P
There is a link to a download in this thread-

MudMarine

One of the tanks on the Air Force deuces is a dual chamber internally.
The manual that describes the split (dual circuit) brake system is -
SMARPI9-2320-209-14P
There is a link to a download in this thread-
Ooo good call on that. I probably need to get a 3rd side pull drain valve!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks