• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight badge numbers chart???

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a chart to tell us what number to use on our particular trucks or as per how much weight

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to come up with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for registration purposes? If so, and your state has 'weighted plates' (the greater the GVWR, the higher the cost of the plate), you need to think carefully. First what is the empty weight of the vehicle, second what is the maximum weight of cargo that you ever plan on carrying, third what is the maximum amount of cargo the military says could be carried on paved roads by that vehicle. If the second number is substantially lower than the third number, you may save a ton of money in registration and tag fees by using the lower number (1 + 2, rather than 1+ 3). However if you go that route and cheat, going over the declared max weight and get caught, your ticket could negate a decade's worth of tag fees. For my deuces, I max out at 4,000 pounds of cargo as #2 and the closest I've come is carrying a deuce engine in a can, which is 3,100 pounds. #3 for a cargo deuce is 10,000 pounds, so I'm only carrying 40 percent of the max value on my registration. In SC, the extra weight is about $20 a thousand pounds for the annual license tag, other states may be more.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there a chart to tell us what number to use on our particular trucks or as per how much weight
chucky,

As mentioned above by SCSG-G4 - The "DOT Man" does not play. You don't want to get caught over the weighted tag limit for your truck. They will park you on the side of the road for weight and for faulty equipment until you resolve the problem - and tossing weight off on the side of the highway - won't cut it with them. Even a "non-commercial" vehicle is regulated for weight and safety equipment AND are their concern on the public roadways.

It would be cool to know if the military drivers actually changed their Bridge Plates according to the load they were carrying. OR maybe they were set to the heaviest load rating - and stayed that way. My 1088 has one and the numbers on it don't look like they have ever been touched. No scrape/slide marks at all...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be mistaken, but I think the OP was asking for guidance on the bridge plate number to be used with his/her truck. I think they were asking if there is a resource out there that specifies the numbers to be used for particular model trucks.

Guyfang

Staff member
chucky,

As mentioned above by SCSG-G4 - The "DOT Man" does not play. You don't want to get caught over the weighted tag limit for your truck. They will park you on the side of the road for weight and for faulty equipment until you resolve the problem - and tossing weight off on the side of the highway - won't cut it with them. Even a "non-commercial" vehicle is regulated for weight and safety equipment AND are their concern on the public roadways.

It would be cool to know if the military drivers actually changed their Bridge Plates according to the load they were carrying. OR maybe they were set to the heaviest load rating - and stayed that way. My 1088 has one and the numbers on it don't look like they have ever been touched. No scrape/slide marks at all...
We never changed the weight tags according to load. Heck, we never even LOOKED at the tags.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weight of the trucks is in the -10 tm
I probably didnt state the question properly. I was wondering if there was a chart that listed all the lm/fm trucks by there weight and what number on the bridge plate number should be on that specific truck . I want to display the correct number on the plate on my truck/ trying to make it look like current issue truck and i figured the m-1087 would be fairly close to a 1083 with a all steel camper on it. Ive finally painted my project solid OD 383 green so now i want to put all the stensil work and safety plates ect .

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be mistaken, but I think the OP was asking for guidance on the bridge plate number to be used with his/her truck. I think they were asking if there is a resource out there that specifies the numbers to be used for particular model trucks.
Yes that what im shooting for like whats the plate on a 1087 have on it ? Its 3000 lbs more than mine but close enough

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to come up with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for registration purposes? If so, and your state has 'weighted plates' (the greater the GVWR, the higher the cost of the plate), you need to think carefully. First what is the empty weight of the vehicle, second what is the maximum weight of cargo that you ever plan on carrying, third what is the maximum amount of cargo the military says could be carried on paved roads by that vehicle. If the second number is substantially lower than the third number, you may save a ton of money in registration and tag fees by using the lower number (1 + 2, rather than 1+ 3). However if you go that route and cheat, going over the declared max weight and get caught, your ticket could negate a decade's worth of tag fees. For my deuces, I max out at 4,000 pounds of cargo as #2 and the closest I've come is carrying a deuce engine in a can, which is 3,100 pounds. #3 for a cargo deuce is 10,000 pounds, so I'm only carrying 40 percent of the max value on my registration. In SC, the extra weight is about $20 a thousand pounds for the annual license tag, other states may be more.
No i was trying to find correct plate number to put on my truck as per its weight

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, there is a document that lists every vehicle and trailer. If yours were an OLD vehicle, I would tell you to open up FM 5-36, Route Reconnaissance and Classification. I have no idea what the current document is, as I have been out 28 years. But there is a document. I THINK the FM 5-170 has the list, but its just been too long.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a document that lists every vehicle and trailer. If yours were an OLD vehicle, I would tell you to open up FM 5-36, Route Reconnaissance and Classification. I have no idea what the current document is, as I have been out 28 years. But there is a document. I THINK the FM 5-170 has the list, but its just been too long.
Thank you for the info and Thank you for your service .

Guyfang

Staff member
There are two models of M1083. With and Without winch. What model do you have. I can look in the -10 TM, and the gross weight should be listed there. Or you could just google the TM and look also. Its on page (PDF reader) #91. Wont let me copy it and paste.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two models of M1083. With and Without winch. What model do you have. I can look in the -10 TM, and the gross weight should be listed there. Or you could just google the TM and look also. Its on page (PDF reader) #91. Wont let me copy it and paste.
ok i didnt know you could google the tm stuff thats great my 1083 with my steel box and interior im fairly sure im 25 to 26.ooo lbs

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I read somewhere...and I am sure someone will either confirm this or shoot me down :) ...that the bridge plate number is something like half of the GVW of the truck (if a trailer is being towed, the bridge plate would show the C for COMBINED and that weight would be included). So, if the GVW of the truck is 36,000 pounds, the bridge plate number would be 18. If I recall correctly, this is not exact, but it is approximately accurate. Again, that is my recollection from previous threads on this. I might be remembering it incorrectly.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I read somewhere...and I am sure someone will either confirm this or shoot me down :) ...that the bridge plate number is something like half of the GVW of the truck (if a trailer is being towed, the bridge plate would show the C for COMBINED and that weight would be included). So, if the GVW of the truck is 36,000 pounds, the bridge plate number would be 18. If I recall correctly, this is not exact, but it is approximately accurate. Again, that is my recollection from previous threads on this. I might be remembering it incorrectly.
Its a start and a lot more than ive found ! Thanks I figure im around 26,000 or close

Guyfang

Staff member
I just tried to send the -10 TM, but its toooooooooo BIG. The -10 TM is just short of 52.5 KB.

Curb weight is just short of 21K. Payload is is 10 K.

You are allowed any Military TM, as long as it is coded A, for public release.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you hit 26,000 you get into CDL territory. It is in your best interest to keep the gross weight UNDER 26,000 pounds for licensing purposes! Unless you ALREADY have a CDL and plan on keeping it! Even then it can get expensive quickly.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I read somewhere ...that the bridge plate number is something like half of the GVW of the truck
Bruce - I get what you mean, but I think you actually were referring to 1/2000th.... ie., it's direct "Tons" and not pounds. ;-)

.. and I'd also go further to say that its a NATO standard going back to WWII, however, other countries don't use a C for "+ trailer" but have a plate with two numbers, displayed like a fraction.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the military Route Recon manual, the rule of thumb for bridge plates is 80% of the vehicle weight loaded, if the 'proper' number is not known.

The actual bridge plate numbers in the manuals are calculated by some esoteric formula that I think may involve waving an intoxicated newt over a cauldron of boiling CARC. (It has to do with number and size of wheels, how far apart they are, etc. etc.)

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks