• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $582.00 Won Us an XM818 Tractor ! ! !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, boys and girls, children of all ages...

Come gather round for the SEQUEL to my original purchase announcement
"WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING!"

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?49661-WHAT-!-756-32-Won-EVERYTHING!&highlight=$756.32
The major plot difference is that this time it was a 5-Ton vs. a Deuce, and the winning bid was only $582.00 (plus auctions fees) for a grand total paid to GOVDEALS.COM of just $654.75 (after their 12.5% Buyers Premium).

Here are the auction pics...

5682_53_1.jpg 5682_53_2.jpg 5682_53_3.jpg

I'll be adding more to this thread as the recovery is planned and executed. We are blessed in that it's only 109 miles from our LZ, and the Midland County Sheriff's Point of Contact had some very promising things to say about her condition.

Stay tuned for more info as I get around to posting it.

I suppose I should at this time add that this is an answer to some ongoing prayers. She's already got a name: THE SHEPHERD; and she's been acquired to tote the SS Chaplain's 1960 Vintage 26' Box Van Semi-Trailer named: THE FOLLOWER.

Carry on.

Last edited:

m715mike

That is outstanding! Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to this thread developing with details and pictures of the recovery and post-recovery joys!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
investigating
Congratulations! Can't beat that price. Like to see it hooked to your trailer.
She will be coupled to the trailer as soon as circumstances permit.

We know she needs batteries, and the driveshaft reinstalled. We understand she was towed to her present location merely because of the battery issue.

I have every reason to believe that simply going through the checklist should get her running, but I'm also investigating a tow or lowboy ride home - it's sitting just 109 miles from home. AND, there are lots of oilfield lowboys making deadhead trips between Midland/Odessa and San Angelo - I may approach some operator(s) about "donating" a free ride to assist our Toys For Tots focus, but I don't want to squander that wild card.

Eventually, the M818 and the 220KAK trailer will be restored to olive drab, with BIG white star colors of the Vietnam era.

We KNOW the truck was released by DRMO from Nellis AFB and driven to Texas.
She is presently titled to Terrill County (on the Rio Grande, just west of Del Rio, TX) though loaned to and maintained/operated by Midland County for transport of their TWO M113 Armored Personnel Carriers. We also KNOW that she transported the APCs to Eldorado TX in 2008 for the FLDS RAID https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YFZ_Ranch . Coincidently, and what really piqued an interest in THIS tractor, is that our Deuce was, in 2008, a VFD Brushfire Truck serving in Eldorado, TX and was also operating in support of that raid. I know that's an odd factor, but I find it very interesting that their tracks once crossed in Eldorado and now they'll be residing in the same motorpool.

I have work to do..... MORE TO COME.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, that is going to be a super nice combo for sure. I know that doing His work isn't always monetarily fruitful but every so often He just provides.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, that is going to be a super nice combo for sure. I know that doing His work is always monetarily fruitful but every so often He just provides.
Indeed. We have been very patient waiting for a truck that would be one of HIS choosing for us. To emphasize this, it is about as close to us as any auction might be; it seems to be in reasonably good condition; the end price for the auction is certainly a blessing; the point of contact for the Sheriff's Office has been outstandingly communicative and helpful; and once we placed our proxy bid, it was never bumped, but came in hundreds of dollars below our proxy with NO further competition, almost as though God said, "It is finished."

To serve others is a high calling. I am humbled by HIS provision.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Great score Chappy. I hope I get to meet you when I come out to San Antonio for my son's graduation from Air Force Basic Training.

He is leaving Montgomery today headed that way.

Put in a good word for him.

If my phone wasn't smarter than me I'd post pics of us dropping him off Sunday.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, WM.
Yes, we shall pray for your son's Basic Training experience. The chance to meet you - even though San Antonio is a 200 mile hope from here would be a great plan. Do you know the date(s)??
John

edit: Corrected distance - 100 miles was a typo - 200 miles is correct.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Indeed. We have been very patient waiting for a truck that would be one of HIS choosing for us. To emphasize this, it is about as close to us as any auction might be; it seems to be in reasonably good condition; the end price for the auction is certainly a blessing; the point of contact for the Sheriff's Office has been outstandingly communicative and helpful; and once we placed our proxy bid, it was never bumped, but came in hundreds of dollars below our proxy with NO further competition, almost as though God said, "It is finished."
To serve others is a high calling. I am humbled by HIS provision.
I've dedicated most of my adult life helping others (yes, even some whose downfall was their own doing) and it always comes back to me in a good way.

I firmly believe that HE watches what we do with what HE allows us to have and if we use it in HIS name HE will always arrange for us to obtain what we really need when we really need it.

Good luck with the truck and God Bless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks