• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the ITVs called?

W427

Interesting short conversation with a grunt at the airport gate. It went something like this:

•Did you see or use the M1161 or 63? It looks like a 2 or 4-seat boxy Jeep for air transport.
"Not sure. Did it have carry trays on each end?"
•Yes, it could. Packed an MG mount, or a short one for pulling a mortar or mortar ammo. Used the last 10 years or so.
"Yeah, I remember seeing those. Tie-downs all over it."
•Yeah, that's the one, the M1161 or M1163 Growler. Ever use one?
"No, but saw them in large exercises. Never heard them called that. I heard them called ivtees or itvees I think. Don't know what that means though."

That's not the whole short conversation, but he also said they would comment about how fun they probably were. So, this makes sense after some thought, that the GP became Jeep, the HMMWV became Hummer, and the ITV becomes Itvee. Anyone else have experience or references for what these things were actually called by the heroes in the dirt?

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my Marine sons called them "Itvees" and "mortar jeeps".

On the topic of names. In my military experience (Marines, '78-'98, later as a consultant for the Army post 9/11) -
HMMWV were always called Humvees until recently when the civilian name Hummer started catching on.
CUCVs were always referred to as Cuckvees (some people misheard that as Cutvee).
The M880 series were never called Cuckvees, they were called 'eight-eighty', 'eight-eight-six', etc. (Yes, I was in the Marines that long ago!)
I'd never even heard of the name Mutt for the M151 until I started reading military vehicle magazines. We called them One-five-ones or jeeps (note the little J ;) ).
M35-series were "deuce" or "deuce-and-a-half", or quite often just "6-by" (short for 6x6). 5-ton and up were "6-by".

Much of my perspective was that of an infantryman, and later an Airwinger. We didn't operate anything larger than Humvees/CUCVs. Heavier trucks were provided for us as needed by Motor T units. Those guys may have had different names for the trucks that they actually knew the designation of, but I never heard any used. So, there's my 2cents worth to do with as you please. ;)

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks