• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what color MERDC???

deuceman51

Here is a pic of my MW24B loader that I want to touch up, but i'm having a hard time figuring the exact MERDC color. I think it is winter verdant(Forest Green, Field Drab, Sand, and Black). The one color looks brown to me, but that might be about what the field drab is supposed to look like. There is a good page on MERDC https://sites.google.com/site/merdccamo/home/merdcpic. Let me know what you guys think before I get my paint ordered.

Attachments

Last edited:

ckinger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct on the color and the winter verdant. The only thing I can tell you is that paint from different paint manufactures varies in tone. Also, paint fade plays a big part in the color. Every time I touch my truck up I can tell. It only takes a couple of months for the paint to fade out. Hope this helps.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct, Field Drab is a brown. One way to know is the FS number of 30118, the 0 indicating a brown.

And remember, anything painted MERDC was last fully repainted in the 70's, so it is going to be faded!

If you are not familiar with US Federal Standard colour codes, the first number indicates "sheen", as in 1 is glossy, 2 is semi-gloss, 3 is flat. The second number indicates colour, as in 0 for brown, 4 for green, etc. The last three numbers indicate a particular hue within the colour range.

Some examples are-
34079 for the dark green in MERDC schemes (also the colour most detachable gun mounts, antennae, and other gear are painted),
34094 is the green in 383 camo (what is usually called 383 green, though the 383 actually means the green/black/brown scheme).
Olive Drab 24087 indicates it is semi-gloss, green, colour 087.

Clear as mud? :grin:

First number:
1- Gloss
2- Semi-gloss (eggshell)
3- Flat (Matt if you are European!)

Second number:
0- Brown
1- Red
2- Orange
3- Yellow
4- Green
5- Blue
6- Grey
7- Other (includes black, white)
8- Dayglow types

Cheers

Last edited:

deuceman51

Thanks guys. I'm gonna get my paint ordered. I mainly wanted to touch up the areas where the paint flaked off and it was rusty, but might just repaint the entire thing by using the existing paint as my template. I'm not too worried about fading as it's a working vehicle. She runs like a dream and I'm not worried about snowfall this year now :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks