• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I bereak/ Fix?

Bobert

Before, when the transmission shifted, it gave a nice solid thump into gear.

I recently took it on a short excursion where I pulled my jeep friend out where he got stuck and then later I put my passenger side wheels on the side of the trail and ther sunk to about the front hub (with 33''s). The back tire wasn't as bad. My jeep friend didn't want to go back through the way he got stuck in so I had to convince him it was stuck. I rocked it a little bit, I stopped each time, I didn't just rackit through the gears.

Finaly he gave me a little tug and i was out.

Now, My transmission shifts smoothly? and maybe unrelated but something makes a winy rubby sound that increases with the throttle, in neutral and driving.

Any ideas, my cucv gurus?

Bobert

Thanks for the advice guys, here is an update.

I checked out the cooling lines and vaccum lines and they don't appear to be damaged. The moduator was caked with grease and oil though and The tube may have been a bit loose.

Today, I let it warm up and when I put it in drive, I couldn't move up the hill it was parked on. I put it in 4low and it crawled up the hill. Reverse is worse. Once i took it around the parking lot a few times, It was slow to engage drive but took off better but slipped a lot into second gear.

It has plenty of fluid when I checked it, and doesn't leave any puddles or drips on the ground. My knowledge of transmissions is limited, So any advice is much appreciated.

littlebob

Not familiar with CUCVs but see one in the future at some point. I've rebuilt a few transmissions and know a lot have some point to check pump pressure. Find the right TM and see if this is the case with the transmission in yours. If you have good pressure, your clutches or servos that activate them may be shot. If you have a low pressure you will tear up the clutches trying to drive it. Low oil pressure could also be caused by a clogged filterin the transsmission.I admit I'm not expert, just have a basic understanding of how they work.
Good Luck,
littlebob

m35a2cowner

Tranny

You know you might check to see if the transmission pan is bent. Maybe bent up in the middle enough to restrict the fluid getting into the filter pickup. This might be the source of the new whine and sluggish engagement. It can be bend and not leak, I have seen this before. The person who said don't drive it correct. Low fluid flow can smoke the tranny in a very short time. Couple of miles if bad enough. The things are complex and in a few instances (low fluid flow being one of them) very fragile. Given the hassle and cost of putting another one in it might be best to tow it to a trusty pro and find out where you stand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks