• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT DID I BUY?..WHAT IS IT?..57mm?

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
bought a cannon at a yard sale...Who made it and what size is it?
I think its a navy deck gun. May be a 6 pounder? 57mm?. It weighs about 600 lbs..
Im looking for the base thats missing and maybe the breach block thingy.
anyone know anyone who can help me..Would look cool towed on a m116a3 trailer behind my hmmwv..
Thanks kevin...

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

Hey, the scale measure looks more like 63.5 mm. 57 mm would be 2.244 inches. But I have no idea what gun that should be. From the calibre that sounds like a Navy gun. However, I can not find anything about that calibre in my books...
Sorry. I'm limited.
Wolf

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats cool! Are we going to see you and your yard sale find on Antiques Roadshow?
What does one pay for such an item?

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think it was made in 1898, as the brass plate says. I think its a hoskitch?(sp)..
I paid 1200 for it..It has a lot of brass in it..Would look really nice polished up and painted.
The scrapper and I were duelling over it..I offered the most..So i got it..
Kevin..
ps, the camera date is wrong.(new battery)

Wolf.Dose

Hotchkiss is French and was a famouse gun maker beside the licence holder for the Willys MB untill 1968, known as Hotchkiss M201 licence Willys MB. Later the company was named Hotchkiss Brand and made very famous motars of 120 mm in Europe (leading brand for this type of artillery).
So if it really a Hotchkiss gun, the calibre makes sence for the 19th century, an ordinary piece of field artillery with a range of about 6 km to the max.
Wolf

NMC_EXP

I think it was made in 1898, as the brass plate says. I think its a hoskitch?(sp)..
I paid 1200 for it..It has a lot of brass in it..Would look really nice polished up and painted.
The scrapper and I were duelling over it..I offered the most..So i got it..
Kevin..
ps, the camera date is wrong.(new battery)
Nice find.

Looks like a US naval 57mm (6 pdr) deck gun.

Check out this link - info/specs/photos:

USA 6-pdr (2.72 kg) [2.244" (57 mm)] Marks 1 through 13

Regards

Jim

southdave

Hotchkiss is French and was a famouse gun maker beside the licence holder for the Willys MB untill 1968, known as Hotchkiss M201 licence Willys MB.
That explains some willys jeeps I found in a barn had morroccan eblems and french data plates. the man bought a lot of twenty five back in the eighties is down to three. I wonder if you gun had an Otto Loader LOL

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

From the linked website:

########

The following description applies to the 1-pdr, 3-pdr and 6-pdr guns which were widely used during the 1880s-1900s:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The 1, 3 and 6-pdr guns of the "New Navy" corresponded to certain calibers, respectively 37 mm (1.46"), 47 mm (1.85") and 57 mm (2.24"). The 1-pdr was the smallest explosive shell allowed under the Rules of War as formalized in the late 19th century. The early guns of this type were purchased from the French firm of Hotchkiss and were introduced in the 1880s as a secondary weapon on larger vessels for defense against torpedo boat attacks. Later weapons were manufactured by Driggs-Schroeder and design control was asserted by the United States. The designations of these weapons in US service at first corresponded to those given by their individual manufacturers, but the US Navy later applied their own series of Mark numbers which were based upon when the gun entered service.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]All of these guns were rapidly made obsolete by the rapid progress of torpedo weapons during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, which necessitated the use of larger-caliber guns to defend against torpedo attacks, but the start of World War I brought many of them back into service to arm small craft.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]During World War II these guns were in the three Hawk class (AM-133) minesweepers and in such minor vessels as US Coast Guard cutters, converted yachts and Coastal Picket patrol craft.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The following notes apply only to the 6-pdr weapons:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Most guns were of built-up construction, but later ones featured monobloc barrels. The original Mark 1 gun had a barrel and short jacket with a locking hoop screwed to the front of the jacket. Mark 2 was similar but did not have trunnions. Mark 3 was the Hotchkiss Mark 1 (long). Mark 4 was a Driggs-Schroeder monobloc field gun with a revolving drop breech block. Mark 5 was a Lynch field gun. Mark 6 was the Driggs-Schroeder rapid-fire Mark 1 gun. Mark 7 was the Hotchkiss Mark 2 (long). Mark 8 was the Driggs-Schroeder Mark 2. Mark 9 was the Maxim semi-automatic Mark 2 gun of monobloc construction with a vertical sliding breech-block. Mark 10 was the Nordenfeldt rapid fire Mark 2, similar in construction to the Mark 9. Mark 11 is undefined. Mark 12 was a Davis non-recoil gun. Mark 13 was a Davis non-recoil gun bored out to take a 9-pdr. (4 kg) projectile.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A gun list of 1901 shows 735 guns in service.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

########

These existed in Mark 1 thru Mark 13 models. They can be identified by the barrel length (in calibers). One caliber = 2.24 inches or 57mm. There is a spec sheet on the navweaps.com site.

Regards

Jim

saddamsnightmare

January 4th, 2010.

It could be a Hotchkiss gun, built at the Watervielt or Rock Island Arsenals for support defense of the Endicott Batteries. Usually these critters are set into concrete blocks as war memorials, and often Uncle retains ownership of the tube...... There is one like yours at Funkstown,MD near Hagerstown. If Navy, they hung around a very long time and were used in WWI and WWII on lesser vessels.

The grey paint job is interesting, but the builders plate will tell your more and it is usually on the breechblock right or left side.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Wolf.Dose

And MB Jeeps with 24 volt equipement by Mitsubish are also original, modified for Korea. Refer hereto to Yasuo Ohtsuka, Jeeps over the Pacific, published 1994, 8, 10 by Hobby Japan.
To my knowledge Yasuo Otsuka is the best knowing MV vehicle
collector and expert in far east. I meet him in 1991 in Tokyo together with Oliver Barnham, senior collector and expert from Britan.
Hotchkiss guns were used, as said, as torpedoboat guns and as anti torpedoboat guns as well. A not commentated issue is the measure ot the mussle of 2,5 inch, which is 63.5 mm. I have no literature about that.
Wolf

Last edited:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks!
Great pictures! It looks like its a 57mm..cant wait to clean it up some..
Thanks for the info..
Now i would like to find a couple dummy shells, and the base..
Kevin..

moleary

Very cool! Rig it up as a spud gun!

It looks like the base could be fabricated, but it would probably cost a lot more than the barrel did. Even so, it would be well worth it IMO. Hopefully you can find an original one though!

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Naval Guns are usually classified by Caliber (diameter of the bore), Calibers (length of the barrel described in multiples of the diameter of the bore) and a Model or Reference designation.

For example, the description: USN 16"/50 Mark 7 Mod 0 means that the gun was developed by the Navy of the United States of America, has a bore 16 inches (40.64 cm) in diameter, a barrel length of 16 x 50 inches = 800 inches (20.320 m) long and is the seventh version of the 16 inch gun with no modifications to the original Mark 7 design.

Real guns still exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks